Question PC Not Booting

Ruthless Nezz

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
So I've been having an issue. I moved my old PC's components to a new case. Now when I turn it on, it doesn't go past the DRAM color on the board. I have 4 sticks of 8GB G.Skill Trident running at 3000MHz. The only combination that works is when I put two sticks in slots B1 and B2. That combination allows the PC to boot. None of the A slots work. Of note, when I first put this PC together, I just had 2 sticks in their proper slots for dual channel support. When I purchased the other 2 and installed them, I had the same issue I am having now. But eventually they started working. The new sticks never showed up in HWinfo64 for all the time they were working, but they were available. Any ideas would be appreciated. Specs are below.

CPU:9900k 4.7 GHz all cores
Board: Asus Prime Z390-A
PSU:Corsair RM850x
Memory:G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR 3000 8GB x4
GPU: Asus Strix 3060 Ti

So I've been having an issue. I moved my old PC's components to a new case. Now when I turn it on, it doesn't go past the DRAM color on the board. I have 4 sticks of 8GB G.Skill Trident running at 3000MHz. The only combination that works is when I put two sticks in slots B1 and B2. That combination allows the PC to boot. None of the A slots work. Of note, when I first put this PC together, I just had 2 sticks in their proper slots for dual channel support. When I purchased the other 2 and installed them, I had the same issue I am having now. But eventually they started working. The new sticks never showed up in HWinfo64 for all the time they were working, but they were available. Any ideas would be appreciated. Specs are below.

It's possible the dimm shorted on something not mounted right

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019

Just how certain are you that you have all your motherboard standoffs in the right place? And none where they shouldn't be?

Ruthless Nezz

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Just how certain are you that you have all your motherboard standoffs in the right place? And none where they shouldn't be?
The standoffs are in the right position. Weird thing, I've read that it can be a CPU issue not using both channels. I've run it through Cinebench and I got the usual scores for my CPU. Temp max was 71c. Voltage is normal. So I am stumped. I guess it's an excuse to upgrade. Was going for a 4090 but might just upgrade the CPU, board, and RAM.

The standoffs are in the right position. Weird thing, I've read that it can be a CPU issue not using both channels. I've run it through Cinebench and I got the usual scores for my CPU. Temp max was 71c. Voltage is normal. So I am stumped. I guess it's an excuse to upgrade. Was going for a 4090 but might just upgrade the CPU, board, and RAM.
It is possible for it to be the CPU not using dual channel you best bet to find out. Most of the time the problem..... Is bent pins on the mobo if you have this issue just replace the mobo not everything else there's no point

Ruthless Nezz

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
It is possible for it to be the CPU not using dual channel you best bet to find out. Most of the time the problem..... Is bent pins on the mobo if you have this issue just replace the mobo not everything else there's no point
Sorry about the delay. Here are some pics of areas that stand out to me. They can be nothing but there are these spots with bubbles.

View: https://imgur.com/oSn0ACF

View: https://imgur.com/8Ke9RcN

View: https://imgur.com/qPMwXNg

TRENDING THREADS