Question PC Not Connecting to Internet

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know if this is the correct place for this question however, I'm living in a dorm with my roommate and their is only one access for a Ethernet cord. We have a Ethernet cord spliter and we are both plugged in from the same source. One day his computer just stopped connected to the internet with an error stating, "Ethernet does not have a valid IP Address" Where my computer never had any issues. He is able to connect to the network wirelessly, however still has issues using the ethernet cord.

As with all dorms queries, only the your dorm IT people have the answer, because there is no standard, every school do their own thing and policy and methods.

Out here in the real world, nobody user "splitters" but ethernet switches, so who knows.

The message suggests PC asked to lease an IP and got no response.

Have you swapped port/cable with him? if his still bad after the swap and you are still good then something happened to his PC.

Sep 10, 2019
As with all dorms queries, only the your dorm IT people have the answer, because there is no standard, every school do their own thing and policy and methods.

Out here in the real world, nobody user "splitters" but ethernet switches, so who knows.

The message suggests PC asked to lease an IP and got no response.

Have you swapped port/cable with him? if his still bad after the swap and you are still good then something happened to his PC.

Yeah I've swapped ports and nothing, idk if its a switch or not it just takes one Ethernet input and has 4 different outputs. I'm guessing its something with his computer or login to the network. I'll try and contact the schools's IT department. Thanks for the help