PC Not detecting hard drive after Sleep

subzero_1

Commendable
Oct 31, 2016
So recently every time i leave my computer on and go for an hour or so when i wake it up from sleep it doesn't detect the second hard drive and every program or file located on it want work but the programs on the SSD will work. Then if i restart the PC it will recognize the hard drive but will change my default browser and log me out of steam. this problem happens every time for the last week and is really frustrating and annoying. hope you can help, thanks

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @subzero_1!

I'd strongly recommend you backup your data from your secondary HDD somewhere off-site first. This way, you will avoid any potential data loss while troubleshooting and determining what is wrong with the drive. Once you have it backed up, I'd advise you to swap the SATA cable and the SATA port where the HDD is connected to the motherboard. If you have access to another PC, you could also try plugging the drive there and see how it would get recognized.
I'd also suggest you run the HDD's brand-specific diagnostic utility to determine its health and SMART status.

Let me know how the troubleshooting is going. Hope this helps you.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @subzero_1!

I'd strongly recommend you backup your data from your secondary HDD somewhere off-site first. This way, you will avoid any potential data loss while troubleshooting and determining what is wrong with the drive. Once you have it backed up, I'd advise you to swap the SATA cable and the SATA port where the HDD is connected to the motherboard. If you have access to another PC, you could also try plugging the drive there and see how it would get recognized.
I'd also suggest you run the HDD's brand-specific diagnostic utility to determine its health and SMART status.

Let me know how the troubleshooting is going. Hope this helps you.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution