Question PC not detecting monitor, but shows picture on a TV ?

nameoftheuser2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
My nephew's PC displays picture on one screen, but won't show on another.
He has GTX1650. He connected monitor on DVI-D port and TV on HDMI port. TV is displaying picture, but monitor isn't.

When he turns on his PC, motherboard logo shows on a monitor, but as soon as Windows starts loading, the picture is switched to TV and the monitor says No Signal.

Nvidia Control Panel doesn't even see the monitor.
In Display settings/Multiple Displays it's set to Show only on 1. When we tried to click on Show only 2/Extend/Duplicate it won't let us.

Now, the weird thing is. When we open BIOS, it is displayed on monitor, not TV. But as soon as we exit BIOS, picture switches to TV and we can't use monitor again.

We tried to disconnect the TV and turn on PC with only monitor connected, but it's the same. It shows the MB logo, but when it loads into Windows, there's no picture.
Tried reinstalling nvidia drivers, no luck.

Before this he was using just a monitor connected via DVI-D. But after he connected TV via HDMI this problem happened.

My nephew's PC displays picture on one screen, but won't show on another.
He has GTX1650. He connected monitor on DVI-D port and TV on HDMI port. TV is displaying picture, but monitor isn't.

When he turns on his PC, motherboard logo shows on a monitor, but as soon as Windows starts loading, the picture is switched to TV and the monitor says No Signal.

Nvidia Control Panel doesn't even see the monitor.
In Display settings/Multiple Displays it's set to Show only on 1. When we tried to click on Show only 2/Extend/Duplicate it won't let us.

Now, the weird thing is. When we open BIOS, it is displayed on monitor, not TV. But as soon as we exit BIOS, picture switches to TV and we can't use monitor again.

We tried to disconnect the TV and turn on PC with only monitor connected, but it's the same. It shows the MB logo, but when it loads into Windows, there's no picture.
Tried reinstalling nvidia drivers, no luck.

Before this he was using just a monitor connected via DVI-D. But after he connected TV via HDMI this problem happened.
Full system specs

nameoftheuser2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Updated everything, and it's the same.

I tried to reinstall Windows 10.
Disconnectes TV, only monitor was connected.
Installation was going on monitor, and suddenly after about 15 minutes, there was no picture.
I plugged in TV, and picture was displayed there.

Does this mean monitor, or DVI port on GPU is faulty?

nameoftheuser2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
To whom it may concern, I have an update.
I figured out that monitor loses picture when GPU drivers get installed. When there are no drivers installed, monitor works fine, but as soon as drivers are installed monitor turns off.

I installed the driver from last year. Now monitor works, but I can only set it to 1024x768 or 800x600. Cant set custom resplution in nvidia panel

Last edited:
To whom it may concern, I have an update.
I figured out that monitor loses picture when GPU drivers get installed. When there are no drivers installed, monitor works fine, but as soon as drivers are installed monitor turns off.

I installed the driver from last year. Now monitor works, but I can only set it to 1024x768 or 800x600. Cant set custom resplution in nvidia panel
Sounds like the monitor wasn't supported to begin with. It may have had a forced display when it was originally working. This does happen rarely but will happen none the less. It sounds like the only fix you maybe be able to get for this is get a display that is with in the GPU limits. What monitor are you trying to use I'm sorry if this info was already provided but makes it easier to ask instead of digging through so much to find it