Question PC not finding windows boot?

Feb 24, 2020
Hopefully this is the right section. PC is about 6 months old, never had any issues since last week. Specs are Intel i9 9900k (not OC) Asus maximum xi hero Msi geforce rtx 2080 32GB trident z ram Samsung evo 500gb and 1TB SSD EVGA supernova G2 850w power supply Corsair h115i pro aio cooler So last week, playing Apex the game froze, pc crashed. Then I got a blue screen that said there was a problem restarting your pc. Watched a few youtube videos, trying things with the command prompt and had no luck. I tried wiping all the memory in the troubleshoot menu, but wouldnt reset. So I got into the BIOS wiped both my SSDs. Had to go buy a new windows key. And to make sure it wasnt my 500gb SSD, I installed windows on my 1TB SSD. PC works after reinstalling windows. Reinstalled all my games and apps. Exactly a week later, playing COD. Same thing happens. The error coming up was the srt trail.txt. tried one thing in the command prompt, it worked. Then about 6 hours later, I was installing epic games launcher. Soon as I was launching it, blue screen again. This time the text in the command prompt did nothing. Now I go into bios, and the pc is recognizing both my samsung ssds, but for boot options there's nothing. I updated my bios via flash drive to make sure, still nothing. Rather than wiping both my SSDs again, and temporarily fixing the problem just for it to happen again isnt an option. Like I said I installed windows on a different ssd, and did the same thing. So I dont believe it's a drive issue. Is it possible its the motherboard?

Try re-installing Windows with only one disk connected to the motherboard. You could add other disks after you have finished the installation.
Windows might be placing boot partitions on all disks attached at the moment of the installation and that could cause disk issues.

If you had Windows already, I do not understand why you had to buy Windows again.

Reactions: Oussebon
Feb 24, 2020
Try re-installing Windows with only one disk connected to the motherboard. You could add other disks after you have finished the installation.
Windows might be placing boot partitions on all disks attached at the moment of the installation and that could cause disk issues.

If you had Windows already, I do not understand why you had to buy Windows again.

This is what I did last time. Took one of the SSDs out, as I installed windows on the other SSD. Then added back to the pc a day later.

I had to get windows again, because for some reason mine said the flash drive was corrupted.

If you have a corrupted installation media, then just download Windows 10 again and it will activate after connecting to the Internet.

Make sure you delete the partitions where Windows was installed, so new files are copied.

Create a new Windows 10 media installation files from Windows website.

Get a 8GB or larger USB flash drive.
Go to -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Click the Download tool now under Create Windows 10 installation media app.
Insert USB flash drive.
Run the media creation tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC.
Choose your language, Windows edition and architecture (64-bit) for Windows 10.
Select the USB flash and click Next.
Windows installation media app will download and create the installation disk. Click Finish.

Disconnect all disk and just leave the disk where Windows will be installed.

Boot from the USB installation disk.
On the "Windows Setup," click the Next button.
Click the Install now button.
On the Activation window, click I don't have a product key option click Next (activate Windows 10 when online using the code that came with the disk).
Select the edition of Windows 10 that matches the one you purchased and click the Next button.
Select the I accept the license terms option to continue.
Click on the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option.
Select and delete all partitions on the SSD. Until you are left with Drive 0 Unallocated Space
Select the empty drive (Drive 0 Unallocated Space) and click the Next button.
The setup will proceed with a fresh installation of Windows 10.

Allow Windows 10 to install all available updates and drivers before installing apps or drivers or making any changes to Windows settings or to the BIOS.

Feb 24, 2020
It's not corrupted. Last week I couldnt download windows because it was corrupt. Then I went out and bought a new windows key, which worked. But now it's not seeing any boot options. But I dont feel like wiping my SSD to install windows again for this to happen another week later. Theres another issue going on that I dont know how to diagnose.

The only thing I got when I could get to the blue troubleshooting menu, was "e:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt"

But now I cant even get to that, just simply to bios and that's it.