Question PC not getting gigabit but other devices do

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
I have a cat6 cable when its connected to my pc its only getting 100mbps but when connected to my laptop it gets 1gbps on the same cable. The drivers on my pc are updated, speed and duplex is set to 1Gbps Full Duplex, Power Saving mode is disabled.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard?

Gigabit issues is usually cable, or possibly switch/router it's connected to if not gigabit rated. Gigabit requires all 8 wires to be in good condition otherwise if one wire is off negotiation speed will drop to four wires degrading to megabit. Very rare is it drivers or settings if left untouched. What does your network involve? any additional switches/hubs? Or just router both pc and laptop connect to?

Have you tried another cable on pc? I have had cables with ends not crimped properly, crimping tool doesn't cost much, but that wouldn't explain why it gives gigabit on laptop. Try a different cable to be sure.

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
a320m a pro, it was able to do gigabit before and i thought it was a cable issue but the cable gets gigabit on my laptop. I have tried 3 cables on my pc and they still no gigabit

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
qjuhnZE.gif

this the lights and they don't change when i wiggle the cable

There are very few things this can be. It is mostly a hardware function. I guess be sure you have the port speed set to auto in the nic settings.

After that it is highly likely it is a bad cable. The other option would be a bad port in the pc or the router which is very rare.

Cables can be strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others. They might just be slightly out of spec and some machines might tolerate it more than others. This is even more true with all the fake cables being sold today.

I would try a new cable, you do not need anything more than cat5e unless you find cat6 cheaper. Cat6 will not run faster or better. What is key is that the wire be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24( none of that flat or thin cable you see being sold).
Quality cable sellers know about the fake cable and tend to clearly state these specs, if you can't find it choose another vendor.

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
There are very few things this can be. It is mostly a hardware function. I guess be sure you have the port speed set to auto in the nic settings.

After that it is highly likely it is a bad cable. The other option would be a bad port in the pc or the router which is very rare.

Cables can be strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others. They might just be slightly out of spec and some machines might tolerate it more than others. This is even more true with all the fake cables being sold today.

I would try a new cable, you do not need anything more than cat5e unless you find cat6 cheaper. Cat6 will not run faster or better. What is key is that the wire be pure copper (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24( none of that flat or thin cable you see being sold).
Quality cable sellers know about the fake cable and tend to clearly state these specs, if you can't find it choose another vendor.
cable is made from a roll of cat6 cable and using 568b wiring and im pretty sure something went wrong on my motherboard lan port but theres no damage in the port and its clean. Can i just get a lan card and hope it works i guess?

jasonf2

Distinguished
If you are making the cable yourself go get a premade patch cable and try it to the switch. Crimping ends is a bit of a gamble every time you make patch cables and the generic cable testers available at the big block stores test for a low ohm path, but don't qualify signal. Cable qualifiers are probably well out of your budget. I have probably made up over a thousand cables over the years and depending on type and manufacturer the success rate can be as low as 50%. If the patch cable links up it is probably one of your cable ends. Cut and redo the ends and try it again. Also make sure that you aren't trying to go too far with the cable. 100 meters is spec, but depending on environment 50 can be pushing it with UTP.

Last edited: