Question PC not performing as it should, should i upgrade?

Anthong

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hello everyone, a few months ago i upgraded my setup from a 4th gen i3, radeon 290, with msi gaming 5 mobo to a amd rx 480, with a intel i7 3930k, and a intel mobo. The motherboard was a little concerning coming from my fancy, very gamer looking, gaming 5 this new mobo looks very basic and cheapish. Under system info its listed as a DX79SI. However when i look it up thats DEFINITELY not whats in my pc it looks more like a intel b75. No blue skull no fancy anything. Maybe older model?
Ok so, after the upgrade there was some performance boost especially in regular games. However in heavy games, the reason i upgraded, my system seems to struggle. The games im talking about are games like Ark, and Escape From Tarkov. My old setup ran these games better. My current setup is very stuttery. Let me emphasize that its stuttery not just laggy. My old setup i would have to play lower settings and i could manage. With this setup its always stuttery with these games. Not a little either. Low or high graphics seems to make very little to no difference. I watch temps and everything is usually in the 60's. Task manager only thing that hits high % is my gpu and power. My psu is a Roswill 750w. Im thinking this may be it as i believe thats just enough technically for my setup. I can tell my setup is almost able to run these games at high settings or any settings yet it just has that stutter. I know these games arent known for the optimization but thats besides the point i should be able to play these with at least medium settings. I've reset my system twice with fresh reinstalls of all drivers.
So after that my question for the community is do i need an upgrade? Psu maybe? Or maybe this shady disguised mobo? I bought the gpu and mobo together used btw. I really doubt this is a driver/software issue. Another thing is my pc is a little dusty inside however a few months ago i cleaned all parts very well and no huge changes. But theres some parts i couldnt reach (inner psu). Any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Can you list the full system spec please. Also if you use CPUZ you can get the correct information on what chipset you have, however, I can tell you it has to be a X79 chipset since the 3930k is a LGA2011 CPU.

Did you by chance reinstall Windows on you computer after the upgrade?

Anthong

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Can you list the full system spec please. Also if you use CPUZ you can get the correct information on what chipset you have, however, I can tell you it has to be a X79 chipset since the 3930k is a LGA2011 CPU.

Ok so i confirmed i actually do have the dx79si i was just remembering another mobo i had also bought. In my pc i have the i7 3930k, 16gb ddr3 ram, amd rx 480 gpu, Roswill 750w psu (not sure on which model), Seagate Firecuda 2tb, some intel 250gb ssd, and the dx79si. Windows 10 Home. Yes i did do a fresh install of Windows and all drivers 2 times.

Anthong

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016

So not really sure whats holding me back. PSU maybe? I bought that psu to have enough power for my i3 and r9 290 never upgraded it with the other parts.

dorsai

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Could be any number of things...first off might as well tackle the easy stuff...make sure your motherboard chipset drivers and GPU drivers are up to date.

Are you running your memory with the proper slots populated for quad channel ?

I would also look at your hard drives and make sure they test ok and are not full.

If those things check out then the power supply slowly dying may be the issue...you can grab a cheap power supply tester off NewEgg.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS