Question PC Not posting after small impact

Eye Of Soren

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
So i was trying to fix a bent pin on my motherboard, when i fixed it and turned on the pc everything was working perfectly, then i forgot i hadnt screwed in the cpu cooler (212x) and when i lifted the pc up it fell into the gpu (small impact nothing crazy) then the pc turned off, i tried everything you can imagine and everything tells me that either the cpu or mobo is dead. I tried using my old motherboard (which has literally 2 missing pins) and it turned on for 2 seconds, does that mean that the cpu is fine? also no visible hits on the cpu or anything.

What are the hardware specs of the system, and what happens if you attempt to boot it now? Does it have integrated graphics that you could test in place of the graphics card, in case the card or PCIe slot got damaged by the cooler's impact? You might also want to make sure that no cables got pulled loose or anything.

A modern CPU would likely shut down the system before damage occurred from excessive heat if the cooler came off while it was running.

Reactions: Eye Of Soren
What are the hardware specs of the system, and what happens if you attempt to boot it now? Does it have integrated graphics that you could test in place of the graphics card, in case the card or PCIe slot got damaged by the cooler's impact? You might also want to make sure that no cables got pulled loose or anything.

A modern CPU would likely shut down the system before damage occurred from excessive heat if the cooler came off while it was running.

Yeah but the cooler fell down and the PC turned off. Probably happened in a second. No time for that CPU to heat off and protect itself by shutting down. It's probably not the CPU. The cooler falling down on the GPU could easily break the PCI-E slot or just bend the GPU contacts.

cpu:i5 6600k
Ram: hyperx ddr4 2133mhz
mobo:msi h270 gaming
gpu:msi 1060
psu:700 watt xfx bronze modular

Your CPU has a HD Graphics 530 Integrated Graphics Processing Unit. Plug your monitor to the Motherboard and let us know if it boots. Trying your CPU on a motherboard with 2 missing pins won't help here.

Did the CPU came off with the cooler when it fell down or did it stay in the socket?

Eye Of Soren

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Yeah but the cooler fell down and the PC turned off. Probably happened in a second. No time for that CPU to heat off and protect itself by shutting down. It's probably not the CPU. The cooler falling down on the GPU could easily break the PCI-E slot or just bend the GPU contacts.
no the gpu is fine i tested it on my other pc

Eye Of Soren

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Your CPU has a HD Graphics 530 Integrated Graphics Processing Unit. Plug your monitor to the Motherboard and let us know if it boots. Trying your CPU on a motherboard with 2 missing pins won't help here.

Did the CPU came off with the cooler when it fell down or did it stay in the socket?
No it didnt, as i said the cooler wasnt screwed in the cpu socket