[SOLVED] PC not posting after upgrading ram

Jun 28, 2021
As the title says my PC is booting fine, but whenever I start it up the fans spin really loud it doesn’t display anything. My keyboard used to light up when my PC ran, and now it’s not (showing that it’s not getting listed as a device maybe?). This has started because I swapped out my ram and with a new one from BB, my old ram was a 2x4gb ballistic 2400mhz ram. specs: R5 3600, GTX 1050ti, Msi MPG Gaming edge x570 motherboard, 500gb SSD+1 TB HDD, 16 GB Corsair vengeance SL ram 3200mhz, and 550 bronze PSU from EVGA.

Solution
If you are certain that the new memory is compatible, clear your CMOS. I would also run the free version of MEMTEST86 on the individual sticks if the CMOS clear doesn't fix the issue. At some point once running you will likely need to set the XMP profile in the bios to get the full speed.

RealBeast

Titan
If you are certain that the new memory is compatible, clear your CMOS. I would also run the free version of MEMTEST86 on the individual sticks if the CMOS clear doesn't fix the issue. At some point once running you will likely need to set the XMP profile in the bios to get the full speed.

Solution
Jun 28, 2021
Does the following link provide the User Manual for your motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C37v1.1.pdf

[Verify that I found the applicable User Manual]

Physically numbered Page 15 provides supported RAM specs but also refers the reader to MSI's website "for more information on compatible memory".

And from Page 29:

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first "
Yes that’s the correct user manual. I did try putting the ram stick on DIMMA2 first then DIMMB2 but the results were the exact same. Last night I had luck with one ram stick when I swapped out my ram with the old one, but when I booted it up it said to start with default values by pressing F2. Then it made my pc restart and the same cycle occurred with it not posting, even with both ram sticks and 1 of each on DIMMA2

Jun 28, 2021
Thanks, I will try to get the MEMTEST downloaded on my USB drive. And I’m not 100% sure that the memory is compatible, is there any way to check that? I’ve definitely searched it up before but a lot of the QVL’s say that the list is ever so expanding and that most of the time, most memory should be compatible.

Jun 28, 2021
I just downloaded Memtest86, but I just realized I don’t think I can even use it. I plugged it in to my PC, started it, but it doesn’t even boot to bios so I can’t make it the boot device or get a signal from it.

RealBeast

Titan
I looked at your motherboard QVL and did not see CMH16GX4M2E3200C16W (assuming that is your memory model) listed for Matisse CPUs. Check those model numbers and take a look at the QVL if clearing your CMOS and seating the memory in the correct slots doesn't work.

When you go to the motherboard site, select compatibility over on the left and then click the RX-3XXX (Matisse) box to get to the correct QVL.

Jun 28, 2021
Oh, no it will not run until you get it started, which is why clearing the bios and perhaps using one stick will come first.
Oh dang, yea, sorry you probably get questions like that all the time. But yea it’s not booting even with one stick. I tried resetting the CMOS battery but nothing changed.

Jun 28, 2021
I looked at your motherboard QVL and did not see CMH16GX4M2E3200C16W (assuming that is your memory model) listed for Matisse CPUs. Check those model numbers and take a look at the QVL if clearing your CMOS and seating the memory in the correct slots doesn't work.

When you go to the motherboard site, select compatibility over on the left and then click the RX-3XXX (Matisse) box to get to the correct QVL.
Sorry I’m replying late, but let’s say if it’s not on the QVL list (haven’t checked yet) does that mean it won’t work no matter what? Like how you said to refund it and buy a new one?

Jun 28, 2021
Sorry I’m replying late, but let’s say if it’s not on the QVL list (haven’t checked yet) does that mean it won’t work no matter what? Like how you said to refund it and buy a new one?
Yep, just checked it a bit ago, it’s not on the QVL :(. Does that mean I have to replace it?