[SOLVED] PC not POSTing because of RAM but no fixes will work!

noneuclidean

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
Currently I'm using an Asus strix B540-f gaming motherboard , with a Ryzen 7 1700, along with Corsair vengeance 8x2 ddr4 ram .

I recently just replaced my thermal paste , and upon trying the machine again, the pc would not post . on the motherboard is a q-led signalling my issue is ram related , but after reseating all my ram , cleaning the dimm slots, cleaning the sticks themselves, trying each slot with one stick , and trying all positions possible , I've hit a dead end . can anyone recommend a good possible solution ?

Solution
PSU's, especially older ones and ones that have heavily used (gaming), can and do fail suddenly.

All the more so if pressed to continually provide power at the upper end of the designed rating (350 Watts).

More often than not there is likely a preceding series of varying problems and incidents.

With the problem suddenly beginning with the new thermal paste etc. then ( per @geofelt) the CPU /CPU damage is suspect.

You need to narrow down the possible culprits.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make...

noneuclidean

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Heavy use for gaming, video, or even bit-mining?

Double check by sight and feel that all power connectors, cards, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
My pay is a Corsair 350W VS series, I use it mainly for gaming . from sight observation everything is connected properly

noneuclidean

Prominent
Jan 19, 2021
Why did you feel the need to replace the thermal paste?

In the process, did you remove the cpu from the socket?
A damaged pin can show up as ram symptoms.

Since it has been two years since I've owned the computer, I had the assumption I had to replace the thermal paste. I did remove the CPU so that might be the issue

Ralston18

Titan
PSU's, especially older ones and ones that have heavily used (gaming), can and do fail suddenly.

All the more so if pressed to continually provide power at the upper end of the designed rating (350 Watts).

More often than not there is likely a preceding series of varying problems and incidents.

With the problem suddenly beginning with the new thermal paste etc. then ( per @geofelt) the CPU /CPU damage is suspect.

You need to narrow down the possible culprits.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec would make the PSU very suspect.

Diagnosis may be a matter of elimination.

Solution
Paste rarely really needs replacing.
Increasing temperatures are more often caused by a loose cooler or a aio that is wearing out.

Take the processor out and closely look at the socket pins.
If bent, they sometimes can be straightened.

Be very careful when re inserting. the sockets are designed for only 15 insertions.
Drop the cpu in cleanly.
If you smoosh it around to seat it, you risk damage.

Reactions: noneuclidean