Question PC Not posting consistently, Yellow DRAM LED. Asus x470 Gaming-F Motherboard

Dec 28, 2019
Hi guys, I've just built my new PC and chosen this mobo, combined with Corsair Vengence RGB Pro RAM (4*8GB sticks DDR4 3200Mhz C16) and the compatibility is proving to be an absolute nightmare.

I've spent a week troubleshooting the issue of the Computer not always posting, landing on the yellow DRAM LED when it decides not to post. Whether it does post or not is entirely unpredictable, which is weird, and annoying.

I have two reddit threads about it where my full explanation of what I have tried to do to fix it, without much luck, linked here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/commen...gf_yellow_led/
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...o_and_corsair/

In summary I've:
  • Reseated the RAM and Power cables + other components on the Mobo besides reseating the CPU.
  • Tried one stick of a RAM at a time (Problem persisted at least once on all four ram sticks
  • Ran mem test on 3 passes with 0 failures
  • Used Ryzen Master Calculator's safe settings, (I entered the XMP correctly as a HTML output from "Thaiphoon" software. These settings caused my computer to just boot loop until safe mode was activated.

• Finally, WHEN DOCP IS NOT ENABLED, THESE ISSUES DISAPPEAR and the Computer never hangs on the DRAM Yellow Light...
  • Despite this, when the system posts WITH DOCP Enabled (Or manually entered the DOCP timings of the Ram, (16-18-18-18-36) it will eventually post after cycling through power numerous times, and once it's in the OS, the Computer is completely stable with no BSODS or anything.
For reference, I am on the latest BIOS Version available, 5406, with updated chipset drivers (Which I have reinstalled).

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated as I am completely out of ideas, except RMA'ing the RAM and the Motherboard, both of which I don't really have the time to be dealing with.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
Hi, I would run them at default settings (DOCP disabled), or look for a more compatible kit.
Thanks for your response but I'm a little disappointed as I'm Corsair/ICUE Invested at this point with Corsair Hx850I, ll120 fans and RGB Ram.
It seems a waste of money running 3200Mhz RAM at 2133; I'm so confused as to why it is so unstable, yet once it posts it's completely fine running at the full 3200Mhz.

Dec 28, 2019
Try firstly with voltage at stock.
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been trying things all day, with varying levels of success.

It's been very time consuming to tell whether the system is stable or not, for example. I entered the timings 16-18-18-18-36 - 54 (and then 56, suggested by another user on another thread for the trc).

With the (18 18 18 36 54 and 3200Mhz Ram Frequency, 1.35V (AKA What the XMP profile is as a readout from Cpu-z) enabled, it was completely unstable - the worst I had seen. I got two BSODS and many errors when running Memtest from hcidesign.

When changing to 56 from 54 for the trc all seemed great, posted from a completely cold boot (PSU off, drain residual power, back on) 3 times, booted into the system and ran the memory test on all 32gb of RAM up until the 100% mark with no issues.
However, been using the computer for a while so decided to try cold boot again. Shut down, turned off PSU, then on boot it would just hang on the yellow DRAM LED again, where I had to cycle power 3 times to get it to post.

In direct response to your suggestion, I managed to get it to 2800mHz at stock voltages, but haven't been able to confirm whether these were stable yet. In a similar sense, 1.35V and 3200Mhz with the Auto Ram timings (CAS 22) seemed pretty stable too. (But again, due to how unpredictable posting is, I can't confirm stability yet. Besides, Cl22 is not near C16).

TRENDING THREADS