[SOLVED] PC not posting, suspecting my Motherboard is the problem

Aug 8, 2019
I finished building a PC and I'm trying to boot it for the first time, the only things I had plugged in are the ram and cpu, I don't want to plug in my GPU just yet until I can get it to post on integrated graphics. When I tried to start it the fans and lights turned on but I got no video output and no USB power output. There was an error led on the mobo for DRAM but it appeared both when the RAM was plugged in and plugged out when I tried to boot it.

I have checked to make sure the monitor is at the correct display, the hdmi cable is working, the power supply is fully connected, the power supply is running the correct voltages, the CPU pins are ok, I moved the RAM around to different slots, tried each stick individually, reset the CMOS, tried running the hdmi through my graphics card instead of the integrated graphics, tried using DVI, and still nothing changed.

I have a B450 AORUS ELITE, HyperX predator DDR4 3200MHz 2x8gb, a ryzen 5 3600 and Gamemax power atx plus 650w.

Is there anything else I can check or is it safe to assume that the motherboard is broken?

Aug 8, 2019
Oh shoot, I overlooked the Dram error in the first post.

Do one stick at a time in each of the ram slots.
If it still doesn't boot, you will need to return the ram.
I did the one stick of ram at a time thing but I don't think the RAM is the problem because even when the RAM isn't in the pc at all the same thing happens, usually when the RAM isn't in it boots and gives a video signal with a warning message saying that no ram is installed, and the USB ports would still be giving power.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I did the one stick of ram at a time thing but I don't think the RAM is the problem because even when the RAM isn't in the pc at all the same thing happens, usually when the RAM isn't in it boots and gives a video signal with a warning message saying that no ram is installed, and the USB ports would still be giving power.
I did it again.

Your B450 motherboard wasn't Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box. Do you have an older Ryzen cpu you can use to update the bios?
If not, you'll can either return the board and ask for one that is, or request a boot kit from AMD: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-free-‘boot-kit’-for-struggling-ryzen-3000-owners.html

Aug 8, 2019
I did it again.

Your B450 motherboard wasn't Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box. Do you have an older Ryzen cpu you can use to update the bios?
If not, you'll can either return the board and ask for one that is, or request a boot kit from AMD: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-offers-free-‘boot-kit’-for-struggling-ryzen-3000-owners.html
Ok, this looks promising, I hadn't heard of this before cause this is the first ryzen build im doing. I'll look into ordering that boot kit, thanks a lot for the help, I'll let you know if it works.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Aug 8, 2019
I did it again.

I am updating the Bios using the Boot Kit today. When updating it says to update to F32 first then I have to install the EC FW update tool before I update to F40. Will I have to install windows to install the update tool?