[SOLVED] PC not posting the next day, CMOS/MOBO problem?

Apr 22, 2021
Let's start with: this PC is NOT new, it's not a new build. I've had this PC for about half a year now, some problems every now and then but I've solved those pretty easily, this is new and outside my knowledge. As title says, it was working perfectly fine yesterday, but today when I woke up, it just didn't.

When power button is pressed, RAM lights turn on, when it's pressed the second time, all fans go to max speed, including the CPU cooler's. PC doesn't post however, only RAM lights and fans doing anything active. PC has a few more RGB implementations, but they don't turn on, only the RAM. Pressing or holding power button doesn't result in anything, only way to shut down the fans and lights is to turn off the power.

I've cleared CMOS, even changed the battery and changed, removed and altered RAM placement, but it still doesn't work at all. Any ideas? Seems like a motherboard issue to be, hopefully only software-wise, I'd hate to get a new board.

Relevant components:
R7 3700X
B550 Aorus Elite
Crucial Ballistix 4x8gb 3600mhz (rgb) RAM
Seasonic Focus GX-650(w)
GTX770 with a deshroud mod (a placeholder, current situation and all)

Last edited:
Solution
Someone walked off with your power supply!
Ok seriously, it could be a PSU issue but you didn't list it in your specs. Grab a voltmeter and check the voltages at the main 24 pin connector and the EPS/Cpu connector. You'll need to do the paperclip method to turn on the PSU. Google it and you'll get lots of hits. Disconnect everything from the PSU when you do this test. If it powers up and voltages look good then it may be going into protection mode because it's detecting a short. You might have to breadboard this outside of the case to dig further.

It's definitely not software. You have to boot for software to maybe be an issue.

popatim

Titan
Ok seriously, it could be a PSU issue but you didn't list it in your specs. Grab a voltmeter and check the voltages at the main 24 pin connector and the EPS/Cpu connector. You'll need to do the paperclip method to turn on the PSU. Google it and you'll get lots of hits. Disconnect everything from the PSU when you do this test. If it powers up and voltages look good then it may be going into protection mode because it's detecting a short. You might have to breadboard this outside of the case to dig further.

It's definitely not software. You have to boot for software to maybe be an issue.

Solution
Apr 22, 2021

Hey popatim,

I noticed quickly after that I forgot to mention the PSU itself, I edited it there now (Seasonic Focus GX-650). Could I make this easier for myself and just switch PSUs? I have an old Corsair CX600 laying around (which I 100% know works), and while it's a really old PSU, it should probably be enough for this?

Apr 22, 2021
Well, I guess that settles that. With the old power, PC boots up and seems to be working just fine. Guess it's the PSU that's the culprit, at the end. Well thanks for pointing me to the right direction popatim, I guess I'll forward myself to the warranty process then.

Apr 22, 2021
One final post, as after a little bit of testing, I came to the conclusion that PSU wasn't the culprit after all. It was actually the pretty inexpensive motherboard power cable extension (part of a larger kit). So, for future readers, if you encounter a similar problem, be sure to check if you have any cable extensions of your own, they might be the root cause of the problem.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
One final post, as after a little bit of testing, I came to the conclusion that PSU wasn't the culprit after all. It was actually the pretty inexpensive motherboard power cable extension (part of a larger kit). So, for future readers, if you encounter a similar problem, be sure to check if you have any cable extensions of your own, they might be the root cause of the problem.
Most of the people here frown on extensions cheap ones for sure.