Question PC not posting with new RAM sticks ?

quy3501

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
I just bought a new pair of Crucial Ballistix 8gb 3200 ram to upgrade my old ones but it wouldn't post in my motherboard despite posting normally in another motherboard. I tried updating the BIOS to the newest version, resetting CMOS multiple times still no hope.

My Specs:
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX
Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Ryzen 3 2200g
Old ram that booted in my pc: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x4gb 2133

Specs of the PC it booted on:
MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS

Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Ryzen 3 3300x

Any help would be appreciated!

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
Is the new Crucial Ballistix RAM in the motherboard's Qualified Vendor List? If not and MSI have not tested this RAM in their motherboard, you may just be unlucky with the pairing.

I'm wondering if after you set the memory speed to 2,133MT/s (real clock rate 1,066MHz) using the old RAM, the BIOS then ignored these settings when it detected the new RAM and switched back to Auto or even XMP.

quy3501

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Is the new Crucial Ballistix RAM in the motherboard's Qualified Vendor List? If not and MSI have not tested this RAM in their motherboard, you may just be unlucky with the pairing.

I'm wondering if after you set the memory speed to 2,133MT/s (real clock rate 1,066MHz) using the old RAM, the BIOS then ignored these settings when it detected the new RAM and switched back to Auto or even XMP.
It isn't unfortunately, but it does boot in a MSI A320 board tho
About the RAM speed in BIOS, I don't think we have a way to test it

Edit: I have found the module on the AMD Ryzen™ Processor Overclocked Memory Compatibility List
QKd20Vt.png

Edit 2: I found someone running this kit with a 1600x
msFSQLo.png

Last edited:

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
You've proved the RAM boots up in another mobo. Shame it's not stable in the intended system. Can you buy different RAM?

Regarding edit 2, was the other person using exactly the same mobo and CPU as you for 1600MHz.

If you want to check the memory clock frequency, boot up the PC from a MemTest86+ USB memory stick. The clock speed is displayed near the top of the screen.

The QVL for this mobo is way out of date,. and not an accurate reflection of what DIMMs may work with it.

Ensuring the bios is up to date, will likely yield better ram compatibility.