[SOLVED] PC not posting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Asus x470 gaming-f Motherboard dram yellow led is on and it's not displaying anything. Lights and fans are working, but no post.

I have tried every ram slot and changed the ram stick each time. Bios is updated to be compatible with ryzen 3000.

Specs: MB Asus x470 gaming-f, RAM g.skill trident z 3600 MHz CL16-16-16-36 (2x 8gb) (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN). CPU ryzen 3700x

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Excellent work, Crosslhs82x2 !
Good deal
Will be around and will try to help if needed.
Take Care!!!!!!!

Hello guys, sorry to bother you again, but my system isn't running well. After I have downloaded the newest bios for the motherboard and enabled DOCP for the memory it started to reboot randomly by itself without warnings. I disabled DOCP and the system ran fine for hours, temps where under 50c while idle and if I do anything they jump to around 51c to 60c and back down to around 50c. While gaming they jump around 58c and hight 60s sometimes it hit 70c then the fans spin high and then back to around 60c (room temps ~20c so pretty chill). I tried to run Prime95 blend test with everything stock, but after like 2 minutes of prime95 it reboots by itself.

Right now I'm 2 hours into memtest86 (everything stock) and will let you know if any errors occurs. Any tips or ideas of what's going on will be much appreciated!

Another thing t mention is that temps run hotter and more unstable if I enable docp for ram, so I don't really know what's going on.

Here are the specs again:
Ryzen 7 3700x (with stock cooler)
g.skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz CL16 (F4-3600C16D-16GTZN
Asus rog strix x470 gaming f
Asus rog strix rtx 2080 super
EVGA supernova g3 750 w psu
thermal paste is noctua nt-nh1
case is lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three noctua fans.

Update: memtest86 is completed and no errors found what so ever.

Update 2: I ran a 26 minute, 30 frames blender animation using only the cpu. It utilized all threads and was reaching low 70c with the cpu fan running close to 3k rpm. Finished without issues.

Last edited:
After I have downloaded the newest bios for the motherboard and enabled DOCP for the memory it started to reboot randomly by itself without warnings. I disabled DOCP and the system ran fine for hours, temps where under 50c while idle
That means the oc is not stable. You need to tweak the RAM manually, I don't have the ryzen system, you may read the linker for more detail.
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/
RAM tweak guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

Did you put the ram in A2 and B2 ?
And did you set the dram frequency to the 3600

Docp should have set the timings and voltage to 1.35v
The dram frequency you have to do it manually a little farther down the list in ai tweaker.

I don't know really anything about whether
The fclk would come in and when.
Dman999 might know more on that as he has a 3700x as i only have the 2600x and it doesn't have fclk.

Watch this video on the use of the 2 links below and try just 3600 safe for now
There maybe something that could help.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc

Use thaiphoon burner
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
And
Ryzen dram calculator
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/?amp

Ryzen temps do jump around a bit but
They don't seem to be a real eye grabbing concern at the moment.

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
That means the oc is not stable. You need to tweak the RAM manually, I don't have the ryzen system, you may read the linker for more detail.
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/
RAM tweak guide: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/
Did you put the ram in A2 and B2 ?
And did you set the dram frequency to the 3600

Docp should have set the timings and voltage to 1.35v
The dram frequency you have to do it manually a little farther down the list in ai tweaker.

I don't know really anything about whether
The fclk would come in and when.
Dman999 might know more on that as he has a 3700x as i only have the 2600x and it doesn't have fclk.

Watch this video on the use of the 2 links below and try just 3600 safe for now
There maybe something that could help.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc

Use thaiphoon burner
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
And
Ryzen dram calculator
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/?amp

Ryzen temps do jump around a bit but
They don't seem to be a real eye grabbing concern at the moment.

Guys right now I just want to run prime95, everything stock without these system reboots. And I managed to do so somehow: First I tried to swap the first memory stick in different slots and try prime95. The first stick got rebooted after about 5-10 minutes of prime95 in each slot. The second stick got rebooted in the first (B1) and the second (B2), but not in the third ram slot (A1) although this time I disabled all the RGB lights except for the stock cooler and it ran prime95 for OVER AN HOUR! I don't understand whats going on the manual clearly says that i should put them in B2 and A2*. I think I'm starting to lose my mind a little.

Here is how it preformed in prime95 and i don't know if this is normal: the first 20 minutes it stayed calm with temps of ~55c and cpu fan spinning at 1800 rpm. After the 20 minutes it started to heat up, the temps started to rise to low 70s with the fans on full blast. After about 10 minuets of full blast it calmed back down. It was like that for the whole hour rising up and going back down. I don't know if thats how prime95 works or should it just be on full blast for the whole time.

Anyway I will do further testing and hopefully come to a conclusion. I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited:
Ok cool
P95 depending on what test you run does go through segments of heat generation then goes to ram and cpu so it is normal for the test to be heating it up so many mins at a time then back down then back up that is totally normal.

And ya 2nd and 4th slots for optimum performance.

1 thing I found out on this mobo
When 2 or more monitoring softwares are running while using p95 it would crash systems as reported in the early rog strix x470 f gaming forum.

Also you can disable the Avx's by using the custom settings.
From there you have to check the box on the right avx for the bottom avx to be checked to disable.
Will be watching

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Ok cool
P95 depending on what test you run does go through segments of heat generation then goes to ram and cpu so it is normal for the test to be heating it up so many mins at a time then back down then back up that is totally normal.

And ya 2nd and 4th slots for optimum performance.

1 thing I found out on this mobo
When 2 or more monitoring softwares are running while using p95 it would crash systems as reported in the early rog strix x470 f gaming forum.

Also you can disable the Avx's by using the custom settings.
From there you have to check the box on the right avx for the bottom avx to be checked to disable.
Will be watching

hmm interesting, i usually run the blend test with CPU-z and HWMonitor on.

UPDATE
So after one ram stick working on the 3rd slot for hours (this is the first time it worked for more than couple of minutes on prime95). I decided to test the second one and it worked too. I then swapped one stick back to the 2nd slot form the cpu where it should be, it worked for hours too. Then decided to slap the second ram stick in the 4th slot and ran prime95 again. It worket for hours too. Now that I had a general idea of how stable the system is at everything stock I then decided to enable DOCP and ran prime95 for about an hour only, because i had to go to sleep, but nonetheless it worked fine while DOCP is enabled. Next day prime95 blend test again same setup (DOCP enabled) and it freaking worked for 12 HOURS STRAIGHT! I sopped the test after the 12h had completed and it gave me 0 error and 0 warnings. I legitimately still have no idea why it worked. Why RAM stick swapping had it work.

Something might be worth mentioning: when i started these successful tests a prompt popped up right in the middle saying "your computer needs to restart to complete your Sonic Studio 3 installation" I started this instillation three days ago, so it completed the installation after three days? Maybe that was causing the insatiability, i don't know.

Last edited:

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
I will keep an eye on this thread and post if/when I can help. :D

Could you please if possible give me the temps and voltages of your system since you have same mobo and cpu? So I have a general idea of how stable my system is.

Here is my info:
Core voltage jumping from ~1.46v to ~1v Max recorded today was 1.5v which is concerning (at idle)
Core speed jumping from ~4.3 MHz to ~3.5 MHz (at idle)
CPU Temperatures jumping from high 40s to 60c, mostly stay at ~50c (at Idle)
While gaming temps tend to stay at 60c most of the time and sometimes jump to 70c
I'm using the stock cooler and room temp is at about 20c, so pretty chill.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I am currently using the 1usmus Custom Power Plan which keeps my core clocks higher (3.6 GHz @ Idle) than when I use the AMD Balanced Plan (2.2 GHz @ Idle) according to HWInfo.

I also have the Performance Enhancer (in the BIOS on AI Tweaker Page) set to Level 2 (which uses the max AMD settings allowed for PBO)

My Idle voltage stays around .944v to 1v and it maxes out at around 1.46v.
My idle temp is around 30-32c and maxes out around 55-56c after 3 to 4 hours of playing current AAA games (Borderlands 3, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, etc) according to Ryzen Master and MSI AfterBurner.

My CPU temp goes up to around 36-38c when I'm browsing the web or doing other light tasks.
When I use the AMD Balanced Power Plan my idle temps are a few degrees lower But my max temps are the same.

I am using a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler.

PS
Try HWInfo:
https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hwi_615_4000.zip
Or Ryzen Master:
https://download.amd.com/Desktop/AMD-Ryzen-Master.exe
Because HWMonitor doesn't read the temps on Ryzen 3000 series CPUs as accurately.

Last edited:

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
I am currently using the 1usmus Custom Power Plan which keeps my core clocks higher (3.6 GHz @ Idle) than when I use the AMD Balanced Plan (2.2 GHz @ Idle) according to HWInfo.

I also have the Performance Enhancer (in the BIOS on AI Tweaker Page) set to Level 2 (which uses the max AMD settings allowed for PBO)

My Idle voltage stays around .944v to 1v and it maxes out at around 1.46v.
My idle temp is around 30-32c and maxes out around 55-56c after 3 to 4 hours of playing current AAA games (Borderlands 3, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, etc) according to Ryzen Master and MSI AfterBurner.

My CPU temp goes up to around 36-38c when I'm browsing the web or doing other light tasks.
When I use the AMD Balanced Power Plan my idle temps are a few degrees lower But my max temps are the same.

I am using a Scythe Ninja 5 cooler.

PS
Try HWInfo:
https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hwi_615_4000.zip
Or Ryzen Master:
https://download.amd.com/Desktop/AMD-Ryzen-Master.exe
Because HWMonitor doesn't read the temps on Ryzen 3000 series CPUs as accurately.
Good Morning guys

Good to hear things are definitely looking good.
I don't see any thing alarming with the temps using the stock cooler.
As to the voltage ya the 1.5v scares people but is expected and is the way these cpu's work stock settings.

Oh man, thank you guys so much you have been a tremendous help for me :lov:

Very Happy to have been able to help and well continue if possible.
Keep in mind soon there is bios updates to come out (TBA) as the 3950x is released tomorrow.
Asus has been slow on getting bios and Agesa updates out for our mobo.
So wait and read for issuse and fixes before going to it.

There is a asus rog strix x470 f gaming owners forum on asus thats active so you might check it out also.

There is some hope (fingers x) for me on the 2600x till i get a 3600x.
But I will wait to see if it will greatly help over where I have my 2600x OC'D @4.1 g
And running my g.skill trident z royal gold 3600 cl16 rdc fast.

So it's MUST show Excellent reports from 2600 to 2700x users for me to update mine any farther till I get the 3600x.
That comes from going through a hair pulling many hours a day bios update Adventure.

Dmann can help more now at this time as you 2 have more in common and in time I will get a 3??? ( hoping for price realigning allows me to go to a 3700x).

Please feel free to click on me and start a conversation at any time and I WILL respond as soon as I can.

You've heard the Allstate commercials
Well You're in Good Hands With Dmann!!!!
Thanks Again for coming in Dmann!!!!!!!

brotherwhoneedshelp

Commendable
Nov 2, 2018
Very Happy to have been able to help and well continue if possible.
Keep in mind soon there is bios updates to come out (TBA) as the 3950x is released tomorrow.
Asus has been slow on getting bios and Agesa updates out for our mobo.
So wait and read for issuse and fixes before going to it.

There is a asus rog strix x470 f gaming owners forum on asus thats active so you might check it out also.

There is some hope (fingers x) for me on the 2600x till i get a 3600x.
But I will wait to see if it will greatly help over where I have my 2600x OC'D @4.1 g
And running my g.skill trident z royal gold 3600 cl16 rdc fast.

So it's MUST show Excellent reports from 2600 to 2700x users for me to update mine any farther till I get the 3600x.
That comes from going through a hair pulling many hours a day bios update Adventure.

Dmann can help more now at this time as you 2 have more in common and in time I will get a 3??? ( hoping for price realigning allows me to go to a 3700x).

Please feel free to click on me and start a conversation at any time and I WILL respond as soon as I can.

You've heard the Allstate commercials
Well You're in Good Hands With Dmann!!!!
Thanks Again for coming in Dmann!!!!!!!

When you mentioned the Asus x470 f gaming owners forum I went there and read one guy had similar issue with what I had, the staff there asked him if he has aura led color changes with CPU temp. In his situation it wasn't, but in mine it was. Everything worked fine after I had disabled aura colors, so it's a high probability that it was causing the issue. Currently I'm too exhausted from all the troubleshooting i have been doing for the past week and i just want to enjoy my new PC for once. I might try and enable them later to see if it's actually the issue. If it is this might be the biggest joke ever. Can you imagine RGB lights causing system instability? Pfffff.... Maybe @DMAN999 could do the honor and try it hehe

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I can already tell you that Asus Aura Does cause system Instability if I use anything other than a static color, Rainbow or Color Cycle.
When I enable any of the other effects, Aura (LightingService) runs at anywhere from 2 to 7 % CPU usage and causes issues with some software/stress tests/benchmarks.
When I use a Static color (which I like better anyways) there is Zero CPU usage by LightingService and everything runs as it should without any issues.

Definitely understand enjoy time.
I get a day and a half to 2 days home a week
And made it fun when i bought most of my parts from micro center where mobo's and cpu's have a 15 day return policy so ya tear down, rebuild get running, start stability and performance testing to have a decision made by the end of the 2nd week to keep or exchange.
I'm soo glad i had No issues when I rebuilt to Ryzen.

When i have aura rgb running and try to play ghost recon wildlands it won't
With a error of easy anti-cheat
(Lighting services)
If I turn off rgb and disable lighting services in windows services it plays.
So ya I could almost see that as it is some using monitoring and changing lighting.

Reactions: brotherwhoneedshelp