[SOLVED] PC not posting

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
I opened up my system to swap out an SSD, and while it was restarting I changed the ram to XMP profile. My pc is now not POSTING, although it turns on just fine. I had an MSI z170 motherboard, and the CPU error LED was lighting up, but now I have changed the motherboard and the CPU, and still no boot. I have tried booting the system with different ram, no hard drives, no graphics card, one stick of ram in each slot, clearing the CMOS battry multiple times, and no luck. I would appreciate if someone could help me out on this, as I have no idea what the issue could be at this point. Thanks.
system specs:
i7 6700k
z170 mobo
1080ti hybrid
32gb ddr4 3200mhz vengeance LPX
650w 80+ gold rated PSU
h100i v2 watercooler

Last edited:

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
What is the exact name of your MSI z170 motherboard?
Does it have EZ Debug LED's and if so what do they show when you boot?
its an MSI z170 gaming m3, and on the EZ debug LED's the CPU LED would light up. I tried a different motherboard and cpu though (i7 7700k, asus z270 prime AR), which also has debug LEDs, and on that one, none of the debug LEDs light up, but still no boot

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I don't know if you tampered with the BIOS but go in there and set all to optimized defaults or restore to defaults and see if that helps. Also try one stick of RAM at a time in the proper slot and hit us back.

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
I don't know if you tampered with the BIOS but go in there and set all to optimized defaults or restore to defaults and see if that helps. Also try one stick of RAM at a time in the proper slot and hit us back.
I can't get into the bios. I tried resetting them by removing CMOS battery for a few minutes. Also already tried the different ram methods.

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
A faulty PSU cable is just a guess on my part. Both Newegg and Amazon sell replacement modular power supply cables. Just make sure to buy a good quality cable from a company like Corsair or EVGA, not a cheap no-name brand.
Ok gotcha. Do you have any other clue as to what the issue could be besides the power cable?

If i am reading what you have written correctly, you have tried to boot 2 different CPU/motherboard combinations (7700k + z270 prime AR and 6700k + z170 gaming m3) with no HDD's, no GPU, one stick of RAM, and you can't get into the BIOS. Possibly the CPU cooler is not installed correctly.

codewill

Prominent
Aug 5, 2020
If i am reading what you have written correctly, you have tried to boot 2 different CPU/motherboard combinations (7700k + z270 prime AR and 6700k + z170 gaming m3) with no HDD's, no GPU, one stick of RAM, and you can't get into the BIOS. Possibly the CPU cooler is not installed correctly.
I am currently trying to boot it without the cpu cooler installed so I don't have to keep uninstalling it every time I swap the mobo out. Would that cause it to not boot? Originally I tried it with the cpu cooler installed correctly and still same issue though.