Question PC not POSTing ?

Sep 19, 2022
Hi all,

I'm coming to you with this issue as I completely exhausted all ideas and self-help guides, tips that I could find.

My computer randomly decided to refuse to POST, whilst displaying the EZDebug CPU LED. That was with 2 different CPU's, 2 different motherboards, and 2 different PSU's.

Run-down of what happened - I'll have to introduce you to essentially 2 different systems: "old" and "new".

"Old" system details [built in June 2020]:
Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk MAX - Bios ver. last one from before June 2020 - flashed with mobo's 'Flash BIOS' option, no issues then.
CPU: Ryzen 3600 + stock cooler + Arctic MX-5 paste
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 3200MHz 2x 8GB - seated in the 'first set' slots as per mobo manual
PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+Gold

There was no issues with this build until late August 2022. The system turned off normally (it is possible, although I am not sure, that there was a Windows update on a shutdown). Fast forward a few days after, the PC doesn't POST, and the motherboard displays CPU error with EZ Debug LED. I have followed all standard checks around CPU, looking for bend pins, signs of physical damage etc. and found nothing. Reseated CPU and cooler (applied fresh paste as well), reseated GPU, cleared CMOS. Still not POSTing. Decided it must have been the CPU that gave up, and treated this as a sign from up above to upgrade the system.

Few weeks after (as the above finished just prior to my vacation) I ordered parts and built a new system as below:

"New" system details:
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 5600 + stock cooler + Arctic MX-5 paste (removed stock one to apply this on)
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 3200MHz 4x 8GB
PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+Gold

Seated everything in the appropriate slots, flashed BIOS as per manual to the latest version. PC POSTed, loaded Windows, all apps were loading perfectly (albeit Windows displayed 'unregistered version' over the screen and all the apps - and the validation check was claiming that 'Microsoft servers are busy' even though all internet connections worked).

Now the quirks begin. Few days after building the system, the new Mobo started showing the same problems with not POSTing and displaying CPU Led. Yet again - checked any issues with CPU, reseated all the parts, re-applied thermal paste to the CPU. Reset CMOS. And now: most of the time it doesn't POST. Sometimes it will POST, but the mobo will not transfer power to the mouse and keyboard. Sometimes the power will go to them, but no display to the monitor. A couple of times (let's say 1/20) I have managed to get into BIOS to see if maybe some settings (XMP etc) are wrong - BUT the power stopped getting transferred to the mouse & keyboard whilst I was browsing BIOS screen. Twice - but only twice in the last week - it had POSTed, Windows started to load, but ran into an error with BSOD - "inaccessible boot device", I have naturally checked power connectors and SATA cables if they are seated correctly at both ends and they were. Tried also booting with single sticks of RAM, each of them in each slot, did not do anything. Flashed BIOS again few times in the meantime.

This made me think that PSU might be the culprit? So I have purchased a new PSU - Corsair CX650M 80+Gold, installed it however it had not helped at all - PC is still in 90% cases not POSTing, othertimes it will POST initially to stop somewhere at the boot stage.

Now I'm out of ideas. Is it a faulty mobo? Faulty CPU? Both, neither? If so, what was the issue with the previous system then?
Could it have been my Seasonic PSU that fried both Mobo's?
Or maybe it is my GPU that does something to the motherboards that kills them?
I could certainly give the mobo / CPU back on warranty and request replacements. But would still not know what could have been the issue, and how to prevent it from happening again.

If anyone have any ideas around troubleshooting, any fixes, I will be glad to hear them as I am absolutely puzzled now.

Sep 19, 2022
When you used the new psu did you use the new cables also?

Yes I have used the entire kit from the new PSU including power lead, I have also plugged it straight into the wall socket, instead of the extension lead I previously used.

Try using a usb with windows creation tool to install fresh windows.

Will that work though even if the PC is not POSTing?

Yes I have used the entire kit from the new PSU including power lead, I have also plugged it straight into the wall socket, instead of the extension lead I previously used.

Will that work though even if the PC is not POSTing?
Probably not, Since I have been thinking about it more you may have a problem with your video card. Is it possible to borrow a friend's card and see if it posts with that?