PC not powering on with 1080 Ti in bottom PCIE slot.

cheru2016

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Hi guys,

so I bought a 1080 Ti Xtreme 3 days ago and the fans were faulty. I returned it and got a replacement. I just got home not long ago to install the card, only to find that my PC no longer powers on while the new GPU is installed. I'm using an ASUS Maximus Hero VII motherboard which has 2 16x PCIE slots. I've been using the bottom most slot so that my card doesn't burn the hell out of my Elgato capture card which is also using PCI from the motherboard.

I removed the new card from the bottom slot and put back my old 980 Ti. Powers on fine. Remove 980 Ti and put 1080 Ti back in - refuses to turn on. I pressed the "clear cmos" button and the PC just clicks and the leds flash for a split second, then power is lost.

I removed it from the bottom slot and put it in the top slot - lo and behold, it works. Removed it from the top and put it back into the bottom - dead. Removed it and put 980 Ti back in the bottom - fine. Put the 1080 Ti back in the top - works.

I'm not content to just accept that I "must" use the top PCIE slot. I want to know why this is happening. My top PCIE slot also has a broken plastic clip, so I'm concerned that this heavy as hell GPU might drop out of its slot one day.

I have a feeling it may be BIOS related, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Summary - PSU is clearly fine. GPU is also clearly fine. Old GPU is fine as well. Bottom PCIE runs old GPU but not new GPU. New GPU runs in top PCIE slot with no issues.

P.s. Had two 980 Tis running in SLi for almost 2 years with no issue. It's definitely not a PSU problem.

cheru2016

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Thanks for the reply, but if you refer to my original post - the very same PCIE slot worked with the first 1080 Ti 2 days ago, and still currently works fine with my 980 Ti.

It doesn't require anything in another slot in order to work, otherwise neither the 980 Ti or the previous 1080 Ti would work.

cheru2016

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Exactly the same, yes. The fan cabling wasn't properly fastened to the mount and was falling into the fan.