[SOLVED] PC Not Receiving Correct Speed?

ShameMate

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
Hey Guys,

So i have just had my new Fibre internet installed.

After doing some checks, for some reason on my PC i am only getting 100mb Download, instead of the 900mb.

But when checking on another PC in my house, that unit is getting the 900mbps.

What i have tried:
Swapping the PC's around. The first one still only receiving 100mb, whilst the other is receiving 900mb.
All the CMD Commands to do with IP Config & Netsh
Turning it off and on
Using a different port
Updating network drivers

But still having no luck... Anyone have any idea? would really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Tom

Solution
If you look at the interface status does it show 100mbps connect speed or gigabit speed. If the port is connecting at 100mbps it is a very different problem than the port running at 1gbit but you only being able to transfer 100mbps.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Guys,

So i have just had my new Fibre internet installed.

After doing some checks, for some reason on my PC i am only getting 100mb Download, instead of the 900mb.

But when checking on another PC in my house, that unit is getting the 900mbps.

What i have tried:
Swapping the PC's around. The first one still only receiving 100mb, whilst the other is receiving 900mb.
All the CMD Commands to do with IP Config & Netsh
Turning it off and on
Using a different port
Updating network drivers

But still having no luck... Anyone have any idea? would really appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Tom
Assuming this is a wired connection, the first thing is ALWAYS the cable(s). Next is any in-wall cabling and wall plates. Then any switches or other network devices, lastly is the PC itself.

ShameMate

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
Assuming this is a wired connection, the first thing is ALWAYS the cable(s). Next is any in-wall cabling and wall plates. Then any switches or other network devices, lastly is the PC itself.
Hey Kane,

So i have tried multiple cables, and different ports.

Pc 1: (Ethernat Ran)
Works fine, no issue with signal at all.

Pc2:(Ethernat Ran)
Get's a third of the signal & ping.

When swapping the PC's around, the issues still stand on PC number 2. This includes using the same Cable & ethernet port on the router.

Then when using the cable originally from pc 2 on pc 1, pc1 works perfectly fine.

So i believe it is something to do with my PC but have no idea what.. So does anyone have any idea on how to troubleshoot / solve this?

kanewolf

Titan
Hey Kane,

So i have tried multiple cables, and different ports.

Pc 1: (Ethernat Ran)
Works fine, no issue with signal at all.

Pc2:(Ethernat Ran)
Get's a third of the signal & ping.

When swapping the PC's around, the issues still stand on PC number 2. This includes using the same Cable & ethernet port on the router.

Then when using the cable originally from pc 2 on pc 1, pc1 works perfectly fine.

So i believe it is something to do with my PC but have no idea what.. So does anyone have any idea on how to troubleshoot / solve this?
Have you checked the Windows AutoTune on PC2 ? -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/
Do you have any of the "Gaming optomizer" software loaded? Things like Asus "Game First"?

What network hardware does PC2 have ?

ShameMate

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
Have you checked the Windows AutoTune on PC2 ? -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/
Do you have any of the "Gaming optomizer" software loaded? Things like Asus "Game First"?

What network hardware does PC2 have ?

PC specs:

I tried the Windows Auo Tune thing, that didn't change anything.

The only optomizer thing or anything to do with internet thing i can think of is the ethernet kill program that comes with the motherboard. But that's not installed currently.

I just a restore point to the 16th also, before 2x windows updates and is still having the same issue also :/

kanewolf

Titan
PC specs:
I tried the Windows Auo Tune thing, that didn't change anything.

The only optomizer thing or anything to do with internet thing i can think of is the ethernet kill program that comes with the motherboard. But that's not installed currently.

I just a restore point to the 16th also, before 2x windows updates and is still having the same issue also :/
Looking at the specs for that motherboard -- https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z390-ACE/Specification it has a Killer™ E2500 Gigabit LAN controller
That is probably the problem. The Killer software. Get just the basic driver off the Killer network site or try to uninstall the Killer suite.

So did you ever try a new cable. Cables will work on some machine and not others. Be very sure you are not using fake cables. Those flat ones tend to be the ones people buy becuase they are cheaper but the reason they are cheaper is the wires are smaller. These cables do not meet standards for ethernet cables.

ShameMate

Honorable
Apr 29, 2017
So did you ever try a new cable. Cables will work on some machine and not others. Be very sure you are not using fake cables. Those flat ones tend to be the ones people buy becuase they are cheaper but the reason they are cheaper is the wires are smaller. These cables do not meet standards for ethernet cables.
I am using cat5e cables, I've tested 4x of them now :/ all working on my other pc.

They're good quality ones also, believe they are from Excel.