[SOLVED] PC not recognizing HDMI input of monitor - new build

Mar 9, 2022
Hey all,

Fairly new to deep diving in computers. I just put together my first build and I'm having an issue with the PC recognizing the monitor when plugged via HDMI. It will recognize DVI. Here is my setup (tried to only include pertinent info):

GPU: GTX 1060 (Zotac Amp)
Monitor: Asus VH236H
Mobo: Asrock B550M Pro 4
CPU: Ryzen 5600x

With DVI, I can get max resolution and windows seems to recognize it as a DVI plug. When I tried switching to HDMI, windows is still recognizing the connection as DVI in the display settings. Also, the resolution is staying at something like 786 x 1024. I'm unable to adjust this in windows display settings and nvidia control panel. I'm not seeing the specific monitor listed in device manager either.

My initial thought is: The monitor has a much older version of HDMI....Also, I am using an HDMI 2.0b cord since that is the newest version HDMI of the GPU. Is this possibly the issue?

Other things I've tried:
Reinstall GPU drivers
Reinstall monitor driver - this isn't specific to ASUS, it just whatever driver windows used (I guess) - I can get the exact name for you later

As I'm writing this out, I realize I didn't install the motherboard drivers - I just finished the built late last night so I forgot - perhaps that is the cause...

Any thoughts?

Solution
Some possibilities:

1) Not all monitors auto detect the input source.
Is there an on screen display that allows you to select the appropriate input, namely hdmi?

2) Is your hdmi cable good. Is it firmly inserted? While there are different levels of hdmi, they should not prohibit connection.
Different levels have mostly to do with refresh rates and resolution.

3) Can you, or can you not get 1920 x 1080 resolution?
Your post says two different things.
You can expect the bios to be lower resolution.
Any graphics card has a low res mode that works without any special drivers.
You need to install the nvidia driver for your graphics card to get full resolution.
Download the graphics driver directly from nvidia. Not having full...
Some possibilities:

1) Not all monitors auto detect the input source.
Is there an on screen display that allows you to select the appropriate input, namely hdmi?

2) Is your hdmi cable good. Is it firmly inserted? While there are different levels of hdmi, they should not prohibit connection.
Different levels have mostly to do with refresh rates and resolution.

3) Can you, or can you not get 1920 x 1080 resolution?
Your post says two different things.
You can expect the bios to be lower resolution.
Any graphics card has a low res mode that works without any special drivers.
You need to install the nvidia driver for your graphics card to get full resolution.
Download the graphics driver directly from nvidia. Not having full resolution suggests a bad driver install.

4) Monitor drivers are just for information to identify your monitor. I do not think they do anything functional.

Solution
Mar 9, 2022
1. Yes I did change the input source as HDMI - when changing to this, I get low resolution

2. I believe so but it is a new cable so I'll have to test it on something else to verify. It is a tight fit due to how the tower is laid out but it feels fully inserted.

3. I can get 1920 x1080 with a DVI. I was trying to switch to HDMI but the highest I can get with HDMI is 1024 x 768. I have reinstalled the nvidia drivers but I will try again tonight. Why not just stick with DVI? I would like to address the problem as it's obviously not working correctly.

4. Great info - thanks!

Mar 9, 2022
Thought I'd throw this out there in case any one comes across this.

I've determined the HDMI port on my monitor is not working rather than my GPU.

Here's how I tested:

Step 1: Tried 2 different HDMI cables from monitor into GPU - the monitor didn't recognize input (yes I did change input on the monitor to "HDMI")

Step 2: Grabbed a laptop (different from the new build PC in my first post) and hooked it to the monitor via the HDMI cable. Again, the monitor didn't recognize an input from my laptop.

Step 3: Verified laptop HDMI output was working properly by hooking it up to TV via HDMI. It was immediately recognized.

Conclusion:

GPU to monitor with 2 different HDMI cords = no signal
laptop to monitor with HDMI cord = no signal
laptop to tv with HDMI cord = signal