Question PC not shutting down after replacing power supply. Automatically boots up when power supply it turned on.

hlhbk

Honorable
Mar 13, 2015
Since last summer when my power supply went bad I have been experiencing wierd off and on again issues on my gaming rig.

When I replaced the power supply I didn't use the supplied cables for that supply and instead used the ones I already had connected (PSA don't do this) and luckily everything seemed ok after going to the new cables.

Since that happened i have not been able to gracefully shutdown my pc. If I shutdown in Windows the screen will go black and the rgb on the peripherals goes off but the pc remains on including all RGB. The only way I can shut it down is flipping the switch on the power supply. If I flip the switch back on the computer automatically powers up. Also the control panel where the power button is doesn't work. I have checked all connections and the issue remains. Any idea what could be causing this? Specs are below:

Intel 8700k
z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra motherboard
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080

You left out the most important info: old and new PSU model. Also, what happened that old PSU failed?
Nonetheless there are two possible outcomes: either your new PSU got damaged when you used wrong cables; or when old PSU failed it damaged motherboard. There is quite easy way to check that out. Unplug your PSU from the system (all cables) and do the paperclip test. If PSU starts and stops correctly when shorted with paperclip then most likely you have motherboard failure.

hlhbk

Honorable
Mar 13, 2015
You left out the most important info: old and new PSU model. Also, what happened that old PSU failed?
Nonetheless there are two possible outcomes: either your new PSU got damaged when you used wrong cables; or when old PSU failed it damaged motherboard. There is quite easy way to check that out. Unplug your PSU from the system (all cables) and do the paperclip test. If PSU starts and stops correctly when shorted with paperclip then most likely you have motherboard failure.

I am confused. What would doing the paper clip test do in this situation? Everything powers on, which that test is for correct? It just won't shutdown and powers on automatically as soon as the switch on the PSU is flipped on.

hlhbk

Honorable
Mar 13, 2015
Paperclip test will tell you if you PSU shuts down after you remove paperclip. If it does then the problem lies in motherboard. If it stays on, the problem lies in PSU.

So when the fan is running using the paper clip just pull out the clip while its powered on and the psu is supposed to turn off and fan stop spinning?