Question PC not starting, yet again...

TokerX

Honorable
May 22, 2017
This is the third time my PC won't start up in half a year's time.

First time last summer after I added a second SSD to the MB. It did turn on, fans turning and everything but the QLED for RAM was on.
After working on it for a week with no success I took it into a shop to have everything tested. They were of the opinion it was the MB. RMA'd it, got it back and everything work again. It was done through the webshop where I bought it, don't know what was done to the MB.

Second time a few months ago, don't recall why it was turned off, but now pressing the power button did nothing, except for the Aura LED lighting on the MB that's doing it's thing (but all that means it's getting power really, same for LED lighting on keyboard).
Took everything out except MB and CPU, still didn't want to do anything. A few days later I reseated everything, probably cleared CMOS as well and everything was fine again.

Yesterday Blender froze up the system, so I had to press the power button to turn it off. Sysem turns off, press the power button again and nothing (except again for the MB lighting).

Haven't cleared CMOS yet, I did try to jump the power button connection, nothing.
When I plugged the connector (it's a single connector with all the individual ones on it) back to the MB I accidentally put it in upside down,
Connecting the reset button to the power LED, the +HD LED to the power button, the power button to the +HD LED and power LED to reset. This made the power button LED turn on.

I'll probably have to go through the whole thing again sigh and hope that it'll turn on again. But this is getting quite annoying.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Sys specs:
MB: Asus ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570
PSU: Corsair Gold AX750

Last edited:

TokerX

Honorable
May 22, 2017
So before pulling everything apart I decided to give it one more go... As if to mock me it just starts without problems.

So what I'm wondering about if there's some kind of protection thing built in that I'm unaware of. I've had ASUS MB's for 20 years, so it'd have to be something recent, or something with the AMD chipset? First time I've gone with AMD.
Probably nothing to do with temperature, PSU was warm, but no warmer than if I'd touch it now. CPU cooler was cold. And either way wouldn't that just give a CPU over temperature error on boot, rather than prevent boot?

Last edited: