Question PC not turning on after 2years not using

I've been away travelling the past 3 years, my dad said he had used the PC once about 2years ago, to grab some files, worked fine, shutdown.
When i returned home few days ago, the Motherboard's LED was on but case power button did nothing, no signs of power reaching anywhere else.
Also, I don't remember; What does the POWER1 button on the motherboard do? Assuming it's an alternative to the case power button? That too did not turn on PC anyway. I may have used it 5years ago, don't remember my IT/Overclocking days much.
I then unplugged all leads, took case vents apart to clean away dust, with microfibre cloth to filters/vents and air-can's everywhere else, as usually do. Ensured all cables were secure, including case connectors to mobo, all look fine, as should be, since it worked fine as-is 2 years ago.

Since power is going to the motherboard, indicated by its LED, all I can think of is a cmos clear, resetting my oc's and a total dismantle and rebuild, presently too busy for that.
System build - as in signature.
Any ideas what could be the issue/solution?
Thanks

I've been away travelling the past 3 years, my dad said he had used the PC once about 2years ago, to grab some files, worked fine, shutdown.
When i returned home few days ago, the Motherboard's LED was on but case power button did nothing, no signs of power reaching anywhere else.
Also, I don't remember; What does the POWER1 button on the motherboard do? Assuming it's an alternative to the case power button? That too did not turn on PC anyway. I may have used it 5years ago, don't remember my IT/Overclocking days much.
I then unplugged all leads, took case vents apart to clean away dust, with microfibre cloth to filters/vents and air-can's everywhere else, as usually do. Ensured all cables were secure, including case connectors to mobo, all look fine, as should be, since it worked fine as-is 2 years ago.

Since power is going to the motherboard, indicated by its LED, all I can think of is a cmos clear, resetting my oc's and a total dismantle and rebuild, presently too busy for that.
System build - as in signature.
Any ideas what could be the issue/solution?
Thanks
Replace the bios bat.....cheap test.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Without total rebuild could you reseat gpu and ram for instance, easy stuff. reconnect all power cables as well. And as said above a new motherboard battery. Do set things to optimal default values and test. If it starts this way set XMP to enabled as well, check time and date in the bios as well. Might even be good to test without the gtx 1080 ti in and use the onboard gpu first.

I took it all apart and rebuilt, and changed cmos battery too, but no change in functionality.
Also tried with one ram stick, one SSD, without GPU (using onboard), also no difference without kb/mouse/monitors connected, barebone boot, tested psu, all looks fine there.
Still see the blue LED middle of mobo as usual (steady, not flashing) but system won't turn on, really stumped.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information. (Copy and paste from signature if the information is still the same.)

= = = =

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot.

Was the old thermal paste cleaned off and new thermal paste applied?

Is a speaker connected? Any beep codes? Listen carefully: likely some series of long and short beeps.

(You may need to connect in a small speaker.)

Disconnect all drives but the boot drive.

Try to boot into safe mode.

Any signs of life in the PSU?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then the PSU can be tested to some extent. (Or, if necessary, get help from someone who does.)

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Reactions: artk2219
Thanks for the suggestions.
My dad took it to a friend who works in IT for businesses. He found a fault in a power regulation things on the motherboard, and, psu turned out to be healthy, just a dumbass shop I took it to giving false diagnosis.
Eventually, when friends heard, they banded together and built me a new PC :) just keeping my PSU & GPU to add in.
Will likely gift what's left in the Phanteks tower to my lil cousin, who's thinking of building his first PC.