[SOLVED] PC not turning on - PSU issue?

Barney Willis

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Hi guys,

Came back from a short trip to Switzerland and my PC wouldn't turn on upon hitting the on button.

I tried switching the Kettle lead out and verified that the plug was working but still no joy. The only clue I got was twice during the process of switching things out when the lights/fan turned on for half a second when I pressed the power button - and then shut down again before the fans had even done one rotation.

My suspicion is that my PSU has finally breathed its last but wanted to check if others agreed with this diagnosis or if I could be dealing with something else. There were no warning signs before this but then I did buy it five years ago. I have given it the nose test and nothing smells burned or anything.

Would appreciate any second opinions people have :)

My rig:

Intel 9700k Stock
MSI z390-A-Pro ATX Motherboard
MSI Armor GTX 1080
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x 8gb)
Seagate Barracude 2tb HHD
Samsung 860 Evo 500gb SSD
OCZ-CXS500W Core XStream (500 watts)

Last edited:
Solution
I have installed several dozens Corsair TX PSU and none have failed. I have one on my main system.
I have a HX that have been running for 13 years, so they are worth every penny.
It is a good peace of mind to have the 7-year warranty just in case.
Let's hope your other components were not affected.
The GTX 1080 minimum power requirement is 500W PSU.
The OCZ-CXS500W is an OK PSU, but not ideal for a gaming system with a GTX 1080.
That could have caused thel shorten life span, which it caused to break down.
Get a more beefy PSU like Seasonic Focus Gold 550W or Corsair TX 550W PSU or EVGA G3.

Barney Willis

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
The GTX 1080 minimum power requirement is 500W PSU.
The OCZ-CXS500W is an OK PSU, but not ideal for a gaming system with a GTX 1080.
That could have caused thel shorten life span, which it caused to break down.
Get a more beefy PSU like Seasonic Focus Gold 550W or Corsair TX 550W PSU or EVGA G3.

Yeah fair point - the original build had a GTX 660 instead - lasted just over a year since the upgrade so perhaps I was pushing it. So you think the PSU sounds dead?

I have ordered a Corsair TDX 650w one just in case I choose to upgrade my GPU in the next year or so and I need extra headroom.

I have installed several dozens Corsair TX PSU and none have failed. I have one on my main system.
I have a HX that have been running for 13 years, so they are worth every penny.
It is a good peace of mind to have the 7-year warranty just in case.
Let's hope your other components were not affected.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS