Question PC not turning on, second time in 3 months.

Danger_Noodle

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hello all,

I've come here for troubleshooting advice. Today I woke up and for the second time this summer (since the start of June) my custom PC that I built last October will not turn on. I have done the basic checks, power cables plugged in properly, 24-pin and 8-pin are secure. The little green light on the EVGA G5 1000w is on and the motherboard is getting NO power.

This happened previously in June and I RMA'd my MSI Tomahawk B560. MSI 'claimed' they found no issues with the board and sent it back and when I put everything back together it suddenly worked again. I had test benched multiple times prior to sending the board off and could not get power to it. The PSU passes the paperclip test, but I'm starting to think that maybe IT is the problem. Like I said it is an EVGA that I purchased in either October or November last year. I don't know why MSI's RMA people would lie.

Like I said. Worked fine last night when I went to bed. It goes to sleep after 15ish minutes of non use. This morning the board is not getting power. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Does this sound like a PSU issue, or is it likely the board and MSI lied?

Spec: i7 10600k
Rtx 3080 TI
G skills trident 64 GB
MSI Tomahawk B560
EVGA 1000w G5 PSU

My gut feeling is that the PSU is to blame. It seems like it is an intermittant problem and if it is, then MSI might not have been able to see or diagnose or replicate the issue.
PSU faults are wide and varied in presenting their myriad of idiocyncrosies so I dont discount it as a possibility. However, shelling out on another 1000w PSU isnot a cheap thing to do just to prove either way.

Danger_Noodle

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
My gut feeling is that the PSU is to blame. It seems like it is an intermittant problem and if it is, then MSI might not have been able to see or diagnose or replicate the issue.
PSU faults are wide and varied in presenting their myriad of idiocyncrosies so I dont discount it as a possibility. However, shelling out on another 1000w PSU isnot a cheap thing to do just to prove either way.
Well I spent the money even though I didn't want to on a PSU. We will see if that's the issue.

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige