Question PC not turning on when push power button

Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

My pc was working fine yesterday, now it's not turning on. I tried paper clip test even though I read ppl saying it's just a test for it's fan. Unfortunately I don't have a second psu to test the rig. I have replaced the CMOS battery, removed HDD/SSD, GPU and RAM still nothing. My mobo is asus rampage IV and I can see lights on it when I connect it to psu. Any thoughts?

liso4ka lol

Prominent
Apr 25, 2019
Hello,

My pc was working fine yesterday, now it's not turning on. I tried paper clip test even though I read ppl saying it's just a test for it's fan. Unfortunately I don't have a second psu to test the rig. I have replaced the CMOS battery, removed HDD/SSD, GPU and RAM still nothing. My mobo is asus rampage IV and I can see lights on it when I connect it to psu. Any thoughts?
Also whats your psu model
And does your gpu light glow when you power on the pc

Jan 16, 2020
Well try unplugging and plugging back all the psu cables to the mobo and watch out so you dont put them incorrectly

I just tried and no it didn't work

Also whats your psu model
And does your gpu light glow when you power on the pc
Corsair HX1000

When I power on nothing happens. I have checked the power button's cables are fine as well. Is it normal that start and reset buttons on mobo's looks on (but not working either) Picture is below
Rig

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
I just tried and no it didn't work

Corsair HX1000

When I power on nothing happens. I have checked the power button's cables are fine as well. Is it normal that start and reset buttons on mobo's looks on (but not working either) Picture is below
Rig

No BSoD or something? Nothing at all? No Fans spinning? no Lights glowing? Nothing at all?

Clip testing is good to test dead PSU's. But it's not really recommended as most faulty PSU shows spinning fans.

If you have no power, please check your power connections especially from the inside the one connecting your PSU to the board. Then also check the power cables outside if it's working, faulty or not (better use a new one). And the outlet, do not forget sometimes it's a faulty outlet.

If it has no power at all then the problem is the power. If it's not the cords and power connections then most likely it's the PSU. Try borrowing a working PSU or by bringing yours to the nearest tech shop so they can try it on a different PC.

To support everything, please check out for these symptoms and come back to me:

Signs and symptoms of a faulty PSU:
  • tripping electricity
  • tripping board anti surge protection indicating PSU
  • tripping AVR
  • electric shock everywhere (from case to monitor)
  • dimming lights when PSU/PC is turned on.
  • unusual fan/led lights behaviour
  • boot loop, no boot, no signal, boot occassionally
  • static and wavy monitor
  • freezing computer|
  • persisting hard drive corruption even when fixed
  • system slow down
  • BSoD
  • popping sound
  • burning plastic smell
  • smoke
  • flash of light from the PSU
  • unusual PSU power plug electric spark when plugged in the outlet.

NOTE: These symptoms can be long term or instantaneous. Most of the time it's slow moving indicating a slowly deteriorating PSU.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
No BSoD or something? Nothing at all? No Fans spinning? no Lights glowing? Nothing at all?

Totally nothing at all, neither the power button nor start button on mobo turning pc on. I assume psu cords are just fine that I bought it about a year ago.

I just noticed PSU fan not spinning when I do clip test, is it normal because pc didn't really start up or is it another sign that my psu is dead. Unfortunately there is nobody I can borrow a psu nor a tech shop. Is there any other test I can do?

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Totally nothing at all, neither the power button nor start button on mobo turning pc on. I assume psu cords are just fine that I bought it about a year ago.

New doesn't mean working so I would recommend testing the power cord again. Mine is new but it's faulty, how about that?

I just noticed PSU fan not spinning when I do clip test, is it normal because pc didn't really start up or is it another sign that my psu is dead. Unfortunately there is nobody I can borrow a psu nor a tech shop. Is there any other test I can do?

(Assuming you had replaced the power cord and is proven working and you used a different working outlet..)

If the PSU fan were not spinning when you did the clip test then either your PSU fan is faulty and is causing overheating problem that's why it's not working OR the PSU is dead. Not spinning PSU fan is a good reason to buy a brand new reliable PSU so you can consider that.

I do not really recommend opening it to replace the fan. It's very unsafe. What you can do is bring it to the nearest shop so they can test it on another computer. Buy a new one if it's proven faulty.

Another question, are you connected directly to the wall power outlet? Please connect it directly to make sure something in the middle isn''t faulty (like AVR or similar stuff).

Also, check the holes of the PSU and check out the fan if something's stuck inside it or similar like wires or dust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hjaldr
Jan 16, 2020
(Assuming you had replaced the power cord and is proven working and you used a different working outlet..)

That's right I replaced the power cord that goes to plug and tried a different outlet.

If the PSU fan were not spinning when you did the clip test then either your PSU fan is faulty and is causing overheating problem that's why it's not working OR the PSU is dead. Not spinning PSU fan is a good reason to buy a brand new reliable PSU so you can consider that.

Is it possible when it reaches certain degrees it starts spinning? Or should it be spinning on the initial start? Could there be any heating issues when I do a clip test and psu works for 30secs?

I am considering buying a new one :(

Another question, are you connected directly to the wall power outlet? Please connect it directly to make sure something in the middle isn''t faulty (like AVR or similar stuff).
Yes, it is connected directly to the wall outlet.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Is it possible when it reaches certain degrees it starts spinning? Or should it be spinning on the initial start? Could there be any heating issues when I do a clip test and psu works for 30secs?

Yes, there's something called "semi-passive cooling" if i'm not wrong. Another one to consider that's why you need to bring the PSU to a tech shop so they can test it with a multimeter and on a different machine.

That'll be your best bet. Won't cost you too much. I've done that for free at a nearby shop.

TRENDING THREADS