Question PC not turning on

Jul 17, 2019
I’ve just gotten a new monitor and went to plug it in to the PC. When I was installing the monitor, I unplugged my PC and other monitor. When I go to plug everything back in I turn my computer on and nothing happens. The PSU doesn’t turn on or anything. I tried putting it in a different plug and unplugging all external devices. I held down the power on button on my computer for ~30 seconds and it still didn’t turn on. I made sure the power switch on the PSU was turned on and all the plugs were in properly. I’m beyond pissed because I’m thinking the worst, and that would be my PC/PSU is fried, yet I didn’t do anything to it. I just want to play some games on my new monitor. Is there anything simple I’m forgetting to do?

Jul 17, 2019
There should be a little switch on the back of the PSU that will power the PSU on and off. Make sure you didn't accidentally turn it off. That would be my first guess.
Just checked. Tried turning it on with it on the line symbol twice and with the o symbol twice since I wasn’t sure what they meant at the time. No luck.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Just checked. Tried turning it on with it on the line symbol twice and with the o symbol twice since I wasn’t sure what they meant at the time. No luck.
Chances of you frying the PSU by changing your monitor seem slim to none. Did you make any other changes at all?
My next step would be trying a different power supply cable if you've got one lying around.

Jul 17, 2019
Chances of you frying the PSU by changing your monitor seem slim to none. Did you make any other changes at all?
My next step would be trying a different power supply cable if you've got one lying around.
That’s what I was thinking too, since I did nothing but unplug the PC after I shut it down. I tried earlier with another power cable I had and there was still nothing. The only other change I made was blowing a little bit of compressed air on the top fans and the PSU fan. Could the dust have fried it? I’ve been wanting to buy a new PSU for a while now so I can have extra room for overclocking, but I’d rather not spend ~$80 right now.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
That’s what I was thinking too, since I did nothing but unplug the PC after I shut it down. I tried earlier with another power cable I had and there was still nothing. The only other change I made was blowing a little bit of compressed air on the top fans and the PSU fan. Could the dust have fried it? I’ve been wanting to buy a new PSU for a while now so I can have extra room for overclocking, but I’d rather not spend ~$80 right now.

Blowing the dust out shouldn't have caused any problems. Its possible if the dust was so bad that it overheated the psu which coincidentally caused it to die right when you turned it off. But you can see how crazy that sounds.

What are your PC specs? You may be able to get away with a cheaper PSU.

Jul 17, 2019
Blowing the dust out shouldn't have caused any problems. Its possible if the dust was so bad that it overheated the psu which coincidentally caused it to die right when you turned it off. But you can see how crazy that sounds.

What are your PC specs? You may be able to get away with a cheaper PSU.
I found a really good one for $70 CAD on newegg but if it’s not a PSU issue I don’t want to buy one for nothing. I’ve got 16GB of DDR3, i7 4770k and a 1060 6GB

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
I found a really good one for $70 CAD on newegg but if it’s not a PSU issue I don’t want to buy one for nothing. I’ve got 16GB of DDR3, i7 4770k and a 1060 6GB
If you dont have power with multiple plugs and cables, then it cant be much else except your PSU.

Open the case, plug in your power supply and watch inside for lights as you click the switch on the back of the psu on and off. If you have lights inside the case, then its getting power from the PSU, if not then you need to buy a new PSU.

Jul 17, 2019
If you dont have power with multiple plugs and cables, then it cant be much else except your PSU.

Open the case, plug in your power supply and watch inside for lights as you click the switch on the back of the psu on and off. If you have lights inside the case, then its getting power from the PSU, if not then you need to buy a new PSU.
Looks like I’ll have to just buy a new one, but I’ll be without a computer for weeks since I have no money to freely spend right now 🙃

Jul 17, 2019
Hey did you try manually starting the pc? Basically bypassing the power button?
You can do it by touching a screwdriver to the + and - on the powerswitch pins for the front panel connectors.

https://www.tokeepmypcup.com/workshop/how_to_test_power_button_in_your_computer/
I was just thinking that, planning on doing that in maybe half an hour. I’m just really angry at my computer and I don’t even want to look at it. I’ll let you know what happens later.

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Broken link
Jump-Test-1.jpg