[SOLVED] PC not working because of CPU cable

Oct 31, 2020
I’m building my own PC and I have assembled it and done everything. As soon as I turn it on, the fans spin and the lights turn on for a second or two after which it suddenly turns off. I tried unplugging the 4-pin CPU power cable and after that everything works perfectly fine. I’m using an Intel i3-9100F, GTX 1650, a Akyga Basic AK-B1-400 PSU (400W) Toshiba HDD, and an Asus Motherboard H110M-K. Please help me find a solution.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes but shouldn’t the PC boot at the very least or display some error if it does not start up fully so I can single out the issue?
The first issue is that your motherboard's BIOS has no clue what to do with the CPU you put on it. Despite using the same physical socket, 100-series motherboards are not compatible with 8000/9000-series CPUs. You need a 300-series motherboard with the BIOS update pre-installed where necessary for 9000-series CPUs.

RealBeast

Titan
I’m building my own PC and I have assembled it and done everything. As soon as I turn it on, the fans spin and the lights turn on for a second or two after which it suddenly turns off. I tried unplugging the 4-pin CPU power cable and after that everything works perfectly fine. I’m using an Intel i3-9100F, GTX 1650, 400W PSU, Toshiba HDD, and an Asus Motherboard. Please help me find a solution.
Model number of the ASUS board? Model number of PSU?

InvalidError

Titan
I tried unplugging the 4-pin CPU power cable and after that everything works perfectly fine.
Perfectly fine? As in you can power-up, install the OS, boot into the OS and runs programs perfectly fine? The 4/8-pin 12V connector is for CPU power, you shouldn't be getting anywhere without it plugged in. The system may stay turned on instead of shutting down, but that is only because the CPU isn't getting power.

There aren't many (if any) decent quality 400W PSUs out there, so PSU is very probable sus with a generic brand name like that I don't think I have ever seen before.

Oct 31, 2020
Perfectly fine? As in you can power-up, install the OS, boot into the OS and runs programs perfectly fine? The 4/8-pin 12V connector is for CPU power, you shouldn't be getting anywhere without it plugged in. The system may stay turned on instead of shutting down, but that is only because the CPU isn't getting power.

There aren't many (if any) decent quality 400W PSUs out there, so PSU is very probable sus with a generic brand name like that I don't think I have ever seen before.
Yeah by perfectly fine I meant the fans move and the Rgb light turns on and the GPU starts moving but I’m not able to get any video output yet.

Oct 31, 2020
Wait a minute...

These 2 parts are NOT compatible at all.

The 9100F is for 300 series mobos, but only B365 and Z390 support it out of the box. The other 300 series require a bios update using an 8th gen cpu.

H110 supports 6th gen and 7th gen - with a bios update.

You've made a rather common mistake.
The problem is the motherboard or should I change the PSU?

InvalidError

Titan
Yes but shouldn’t the PC boot at the very least or display some error if it does not start up fully so I can single out the issue?
The first issue is that your motherboard's BIOS has no clue what to do with the CPU you put on it. Despite using the same physical socket, 100-series motherboards are not compatible with 8000/9000-series CPUs. You need a 300-series motherboard with the BIOS update pre-installed where necessary for 9000-series CPUs.

Solution

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
a z390 motherboard for your i3-9100f,

Your budget, your choice, have a look at types and prices,

Edit: The z390 is the newer type so go with this, the z370 will need a bios update ( so go z390 motherboard)
Also the Asus Motherboard H310M-K will work ( you have the H110M which doesnt)

Last edited: