PC not working if GRAPHIC card installed

vickycba

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello,

All of a sudden my pc got turned off and it is not turning on again, I can see lights on motherboard working but CPU fans and other fans nothing is working ... so I removed my graphic card and turned on my PC it is working, but if I install graphic card again in PCI slot PC is not working, I tried removing and replacing CMOS battery but no use ...

Some times if I remove CMOS batter and replace all the fans, CPU are working for 2-3 minutes and again pc is turning off and not turning back again ..

Please help me ...

SYSTEM Config:
Mother board: xfx Nvidia 680 SLI LT
Memory: 4GB 1GB in each slot
Video/Graphic card: Nvidia Geforce 7900GS 512MB 256bit.

If I install graphic card on motherboard's PCI slot PC is not working no fans, no HDD, no beeps, no boot, nothing. But I can see working lights on Motherboard.

If I remove Graphic card everything is working fine.

Please help me ..

vickycba

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

But When I remove my graphic card all the CPU fans, HDD, every thing is working fine even my system is booting..

I have a 6pin power connector directly from SMPS which I use to connect my graphic card. I unplugged that power completely from SMPS now my graphic card has no connection with SMPS it is only inserted in PCI 16x slot .. Still my system is not working .. If i remove graphic card completely then again every thing is working normal ...

I tried flashing BIOS by removing CMOS battery but no use ...

So please let me know how power supply is related to my problem ..??

Thanks in advance ...

vickycba

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

I appreciate your reply PSYXIX.

I will get my computer checked by someone .. I thought I can troubleshoot by my own, but it seems like its not gonna happen ..

Thank you very much ...

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
The reason why we say that the power supply is the problem is is because the unit is unable to provide the needed power to run the whole system. So when you put your video card in the motherboard, your computer needs more power. The power supply being broken has now a limited capacity to bring enough electricity to your system and the video card brings the needed electricity wattage or amp. above the now diminished capacity of the power supply.

Your system is therefore unable to start. a result of insufficient power. If the problem was of a video card nature, you would get an indication on your motherboard (a light) telling you that the motherboard can't detect the gpu and therefore can't start. Usually, it starts but doesn't boot due to hardware failure. In your case, the system doesn't AT ALL, so this is clearly the power supply being falty.

If you wanna be sure, go see someone and spend 30$ for an evaluation. Chances are, he'll tell you the same thing. You can also take that 30$ and spend it on a new PSU. ;)

vickycba

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Hey Psyxix now every thing make sense. But still I have a small doubt, With the same configuration I am running my system for 3 years with out any problem, so my question is why now ..? Is this kind of power supply issues are common ..??

Thank you very much ...

psyxix

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
After 3 years, depending on the brand, the PSU is the most common defaillant unit in the computer, simply because of the components that compose the actual hardware. It happened to me recently, I changed the PSU and it worked fine. It had the same "symptoms" as your pc so it's pretty safe to say that this is PSU related.

vickycba

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Thank you very much Psyxix

Now I understood the relation between PSU and my problem .. I'll go for new PSU mine is Zebronics 550W i'll go for either Corsair or Cooler master ..

Thanks once again .. :)

TRENDING THREADS