[SOLVED] PC not working when 8 pin pcie is plugged in

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
so iinstalled this rx 470 on my pc with a new psu generic i think 750watts then when i powered it off and turned it on there is just a sudden tick on the fans and when you power it up again it will not tick anymore just no response, but when i unplug the gpu and use the onboard gpu my computer is working normally my mind is split between bad psu? or dead gpu

Solution
You apparently have a cheap noname psu that does not deliver sufficient power at 12v where you need it.
Do not believe 750W.
If it does not have a 8 pin pcie power lead, it does not have sufficient capability.
Past that, it is dangerous.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability...
If your psu doesn't have any 6+2 pin pci exoress connectors then it isn't good enough to run a non bus powered card.

I also don't know anyone who'd use a single sata to 8 Pin pci express cable.

There's 150w draw on an 8 Pin, I don't know the max spec of a sata connector but I'd imagine it's in the 50w range at the max.

Edit - a 3 point sata power cable is rated at 54s, so that's 18w per connector.

Stop doing what you're doing, it's actually dangerous and a fire risk.

Last edited:

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
but can I plug a 2 SATA to 8 pins so it's safe? sorry for bad English
If your psu doesn't have any 6+2 pin pci exoress connectors then it isn't good enough to run a non bus powered card.

I also don't know anyone who'd use a single sata to 8 Pin pci express cable.

There's 150w draw on an 8 Pin, I don't know the max spec of a sata connector but I'd imagine it's in the 50w range at the max.

Edit - a 3 point sata power cable is rated at 54s, so that's 18w per connector.

Stop doing what you're doing, it's actually dangerous and a fire risk.
but can I buy a 2 SATA to 8 pin pcie so its be safe? sorry for bad english

SKILLEDSKULL_IND

Commendable
Jul 13, 2020
What's your motherboard?

If you think that your GPU is the problem, I wouldn't completely agree with that! I had the same problem with installing GPU, my mobo was too old with a legacy bios and I just changed my mobo and now its good!

DSzymborski

Titan
We have a stunning lack of information here. What's the exact PSU you have? What's the exact PSU you tested on? It is better to give too much information rather than too little. The chance exists that your generic PSU already killed the GPU, but it's hard to say without more information.

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
We have a stunning lack of information here. What's the exact PSU you have? What's the exact PSU you tested on? It is better to give too much information rather than too little. The chance exists that your generic PSU already killed the GPU, but it's hard to say without more information.
Ok so i have yqt 750watts GAMING power supply and my gpu is rx 470 sapphire nitro 4gb oc i tested it on my second psu that is a rakk 400 watts psu

DSzymborski

Titan
Ok so i have yqt 750watts GAMING power supply and my gpu is rx 470 sapphire nitro 4gb oc i tested it on my second psu that is a rakk 400 watts psu

Uggh. Running a power-hungry GPU with a low quality fake 400W PSU is even worse than running it with a low quality fake 750W PSU. There's no such thing as a real PSU at the US equivalent of $10. All you've done is double the chances of destroying the GPU (or already having destroyed it).

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Uggh. Running a power-hungry GPU with a low quality fake 400W PSU is even worse than running it with a low quality fake 750W PSU. There's no such thing as a real PSU at the US equivalent of $10. All you've done is double the chances of destroying the GPU (or already having destroyed it).
I plugged in my geforce g210 old graphics card with no 8 pin and it booted up my pc do u huys suggesy a mobo bios flash?

You apparently have a cheap noname psu that does not deliver sufficient power at 12v where you need it.
Do not believe 750W.
If it does not have a 8 pin pcie power lead, it does not have sufficient capability.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.
Run with the gt210 until you can buy a decent quality psu.

Solution

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Do not believe 750W.
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.
Run with the gt210 until you can buy a decent quality psu.
oh <Mod Edit> I forgot to tell the whole story so at first it was working then i installed the drivers and when i see the resolution its 1360x768 but my default res is 1366x768 so i installed this cru and when i add my default res my screen goes like medium green I'm so frustrated i initiate a force shutdown via power button and after that it wont work

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
oh <Mod Edit> I forgot to tell the whole story so at first it was working then i installed the drivers and when i see the resolution its 1360x768 but my default res is 1366x768 so i installed this cru and when i add my default res my screen goes like medium green I'm so frustrated i initiate a force shutdown via power button and after that it wont work

Let's talk after you have a proper PSU or someone with a proper PSU tests this. Was this a used GPU?

DarkDimensionZ

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
Let's talk after you have a proper PSU or someone with a proper PSU tests this. Was this a used GPU?
yeah ngl I'm broke and I can only afford 2nd hand gpu good thing the store I buyer it on considered it checking they are fixing it now if not they are gonna replace it they will tell too if the gpu is the problem or the psu its depends whether the gpu work on their testing bench or whatever wish me luck broke gamer out