PC not working

Louis McCawley

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
My PC which I have just built today is not working. I have all the components and they are all compatable. I plug in the HDMI and power and then turned the PC on with the power button. The fans all turn on and the LEDs and CPU cooler etc. However I get no output on the screen and after being turned on the power button ceases to work and I have to turn it off at the PSU. Please help. PS I have the bitfenix merc alpha. My mobo is the MSI 970a g43 and my PSU is the evga 500w 80 rated

Did you breadboard it before putting it in the case?

By breadboarding, I mean setting the motherboard on a non-conductive tabletop (I usually use the motherboard's box) and inserting only the gpu, cpu, ssd, ram and PSU connections and see if you can get into bios.

If not, that's where I would start. It rules out shorting on the case, and is easier to troubleshoot swapping parts out.

I'm talking about taking the motherboard out of the case, and putting it on top of the box it came in, then building it again, but this time only using the GPU, CPU, SSD or HDD, ram and then connecting the PSU to all the parts that need power (gpu, ssd, motherboard 24 and 8pin)

Then connect your monitor to the GPU, and use a screwdriver to very quickly touch the power+ and power- at the same time to short them, which will attempt to turn your system on. Main thing looking for here is, do you have a short somewhere between your case and motherboard. This will rule that out.

Did you try with just one stick of ram, in different slots? (another possibility worth trying, in fact try it before breadboarding since you already have it all hooked up).

Louis McCawley

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014
My case came with two standoffs of mATXs and has little elevated points which line up with the back plate. so would would the elevated positions be the standoffs and also,one of the screw holes has a golden standoff that goes through it. This was in the case prior to me opening the box could either off these be at fault?