Question PC not working

Mar 18, 2019
Basically my pc won't boot up and nothing is turning on inside my pc. This is exactly what happend and led up to this hoping someone knows what to do:

So I got a new GPU today, the gtx 1660 ti gaming x. I installed it and i plugged it through an hdmi cable to my monitor. (Getting a new monitor tommorow with dp port for 144hz)
Booted up the pc and fans started spinning and everything, but nothing on my screen. So I had to turn the pc off from the power button on pc, that did not work. Only option I had was to turn it off from the switch on the back so i did that. Now when I switched it back to on again and tried to boot up the pc, nothing was working no fans spinning, only a red led light on the motherboard where it says CPU and a buzzing sound comming from there. I tried plugging it off and let it cool for a bit and then try again but nothing the red led does not even turn on again. I am guesing this is from the PSU which might be dead? Or is it my motherboard?
I might go out and buy a new PSU tommorow hoping that will fix it, but I am not sure, any idea on what it might be?

My build:
GPU: GTX 1660 TI
CPU: Intel core I5 8400
PSU: Corsair VS550
Ram: 2x8gb ddr4 3000mhz (got it yesterday and worked fine with my old gpu, gtx 960)
Motherboard: msi mortar z370

Mar 18, 2019
get a better psu.
Yes, I am planing on buying a Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold. Any idea if that would be good enough? I am pretty sure my build doesn't use more than 550w and this psu seems to be much better quality than the VS550 I have acording to some reviews. Just wanna make sure before buying. :)

Apr 4, 2019
Seasonic makes great products. Their low end products are much better than the VS550. However, I would recommend trying to reset your BIOS before replacing the the PSU. It could be a simple CMOS reset will do the trick. Do that and see if you can boot with the old card before you purchase a PSU. If you can, make sure to do a full driver removal before installing the new card. Not that there is anything wrong with buying a new PSU. I'm just trying to save you some money. You could always check your PSU with a multimeter if you happen to have one. Here is a link to the manual for your motherboard:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370M-MORTAR#down-manual

That shows you how to reset with the CMOS jumper. It also has info on the led light meanings. Don't reset with the PC turned on. Hopefully it's nothing more than a PSU at the worst. Make sure that all your motherboard connections are secure. Its always possible that you may have unseated one of your power connectors.

Mar 18, 2019
Seasonic makes great products. Their low end products are much better than the VS550. However, I would recommend trying to reset your BIOS before replacing the the PSU. It could be a simple CMOS reset will do the trick. Do that and see if you can boot with the old card before you purchase a PSU. If you can, make sure to do a full driver removal before installing the new card. Not that there is anything wrong with buying a new PSU. I'm just trying to save you some money. You could always check your PSU with a multimeter if you happen to have one. Here is a link to the manual for your motherboard:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370M-MORTAR#down-manual

That shows you how to reset with the CMOS jumper. It also has info on the led light meanings. Don't reset with the PC turned on. Hopefully it's nothing more than a PSU at the worst. Make sure that all your motherboard connections are secure. Its always possible that you may have unseated one of your power connectors.
Thanks for the reply.
So I tried to clear the cmos, but with no luck. I couldn't find the jumper I needed to clear cmos but I tried using a screwdriver to touch the pins. The pc just won't boot up there is no power at all when I try to turn it on. I am getting a new psu tommorow to see if that helps. I just hope the problem is not from the motherboard.

Mar 18, 2019
Update: I just tried the PSU on my old motherboard which has an old CPU, I plugged the front panel comnecters to it and turned it on. It actually started working with fans spinning and everything. But does that mean the problem is from my current motherboard then? Could the cpu have anything to do with this?

Apr 4, 2019
Update: I just tried the PSU on my old motherboard which has an old CPU, I plugged the front panel comnecters to it and turned it on. It actually started working with fans spinning and everything. But does that mean the problem is from my current motherboard then? Could the cpu have anything to do with this?
If the CPU led light on your z370 with i5 8400 is still showing even with a new PSU there is a fairly good chance that you could be having an issue with your CPU. I believe that’s what that means if you read the manual. If you have the option to borrow someone else’s or else try yours in some one else’s motherboard to check it’s functionality, that’s what I would do. It could be the motherboard, but if that CPU led is still showing, I would try that first.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS