Question PC now suffers from low FPS with no obvious cause ?

DaylenTriviQ

Honorable
Aug 14, 2016
Hello all,

So I recently moved my PC from where I was staying at for college to my parents house. The drive is not far, and I have done it multiple times. After booting up my PC however, and trying to play Overwatch 2, I began to notice that I was getting slightly lower FPS than usual. I used to able to run the game at medium settings at 144 FPS without a problem, but now I am dropping to 100 FPS or lower during intense fights - again, this was not the case before. Strangely, I played Warzone afterwards and was getting the same FPS as I usually do - the game ran well without an issue. However, today, now even Warzone is having an issue! I've left a timeline below to explain the series of events, as they are a bit convoluted.

Timeline:
  1. Drive PC from college to parents house (1 hour drive)
  2. PC struggles to run Overwatch 2 when it would usually run fine
  3. Warzone runs fine
  4. Update drivers, uninstall/reinstall Overwatch, does not fix issue
  5. Uninstall drivers completely (using AMD cleanup tool in safe mode) and reinstall drivers
  6. Warzone now extremely laggy as well (20-60 FPS)
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 480
MOBO: MSI B450M Pro-VDH MAX
RAM: Corsair DDR4 16 GB (2x8)

The most apparent difference between when my PC was running well and after my PC began running poorly was transporting it between houses. However, it was able to run Warzone fine until I started messing around with drivers, so I do not see that being the root cause.

I would greatly appreciate any help. It's winter break - I just wanna play video games...

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Try swapping in known working (at speed) Etheret cables.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

= = = =

Make and model info: modem, router, or modem/router if combined.

How many other network devices?

Disable IPv6.

Run Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Observe first while not gaming and then again while gaming.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what is using any given resource. Especially when FPS drops.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.