[SOLVED] PC occasionally doesnt turn on

Tailorr

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Every few weeks or months, my computer will stop turning on all together. I've taken it into the store but whenever they did tests it worked fine. After a day or two it starts working again, but I was wondering what the issue may be. I have got a new Power Supply and it didn't change anything. I have also installed a new CMOS battery. I thought it fixed it by clearing the CMOS previously, however it hasn't seemed to have worked this time.

My Specs
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 5700XT
Gigabyte B450M Gaming
16gb RAM @ 3200Mhz
1TB HDD
128GB SSD
Cooler Master 750W Silver Power Supply

Solution
Ok, so the next time it doesn't want to turn on at all, try this.

Turn off the switch on the back of the power supply and unplug it from the wall. Wait five minutes. Plug it back in, flip the switch back on and see if it will power up.

If it won't, try this:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

This will tell us if maybe there is just a problem with the power switch on your case or the wiring between the switch and the case. For clarity, when you do this, unplug the two power wires coming to the board from the switch while you jump the pins. You can put them back after you are done.
Please explain, in detail, exactly what you mean by "stop turning on all together".

Do you mean, it does nothing, at all? No power to anything, no lights, no fans, etc?

Or do you mean, it won't POST or it won't boot into Windows?

Or something else altogether?

And what is the EXACT model of that CM 750w power supply, because that might be an important detail?

Tailorr

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Please explain, in detail, exactly what you mean by "stop turning on all together".

Do you mean, it does nothing, at all? No power to anything, no lights, no fans, etc?

Or do you mean, it won't POST or it won't boot into Windows?

Or something else altogether?

And what is the EXACT model of that CM 750w power supply, because that might be an important detail?
Sorry for not being more specific but I just mean that it won't power on at all, but there is power to my microphone and my mouse at least.

As far as the PSU is concerned, its a CM MWE White (not silver) 750W PSU. The problem also happened with my previous power supply which was a EVGA 600BR (600W)

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Sorry for not being more specific but I just mean that it won't power on at all, but there is power to my microphone and my mouse at least.

As far as the PSU is concerned, its a CM MWE White (not silver) 750W PSU. The problem also happened with my previous power supply which was a EVGA 600BR (600W)
In my case my Gigabyte X570 board was the culprit, they said my motherboard got shorted, if PSU is not the problem if not motherboard might be the second issue. ask them to check the power circuits.

Turn off the switch on the back of the power supply and unplug it from the wall. Wait five minutes. Plug it back in, flip the switch back on and see if it will power up.

If it won't, try this:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2011-jumping-a-motherboard-without-power-switch-button

This will tell us if maybe there is just a problem with the power switch on your case or the wiring between the switch and the case. For clarity, when you do this, unplug the two power wires coming to the board from the switch while you jump the pins. You can put them back after you are done.

Reactions: coolraveen
Solution
May 4, 2021
Every few weeks or months, my computer will stop turning on all together. I've taken it into the store but whenever they did tests it worked fine. After a day or two it starts working again, but I was wondering what the issue may be. I have got a new Power Supply and it didn't change anything. I have also installed a new CMOS battery. I thought it fixed it by clearing the CMOS previously, however it hasn't seemed to have worked this time.

My Specs
Ryzen 5 3600
RX 5700XT
Gigabyte B450M Gaming
16gb RAM @ 3200Mhz
1TB HDD
128GB SSD
Cooler Master 750W Silver Power Supply
Hello Tailorr, looks like we both are at the same problem, my motherboard does get power but won't turn on at all, and i still can't find the problem, let me know if any of my steps worked for you:

Clear the Bios, the button is either called CLBIOS or CLRTC
and I have no idea how to fix my motherboard, to see if it gets power try to plug in the PS24PC to the motherboard and jump the green and the black, check if your cooler gets warm and if it does look like your motherboard is dead. I mean yours starts from the store but mine doesn't at all I made a post but nobody helped me so if you find a solution make sure to contact me asap cause I'm also scared my motherboard is straight-up dead.

Clearing the CMOS, whether jumping pins, using a reset button or removing the CMOS battery, would have exactly ZERO relationship with the system not wanting to power on. It's unrelated entirely.

Even if you pulled the BIOS ROM completely off the board, there should still be signs of power and life if you powered the board up, it just wouldn't "do" anything.

May 4, 2021
Clearing the CMOS, whether jumping pins, using a reset button or removing the CMOS battery, would have exactly ZERO relationship with the system not wanting to power on. It's unrelated entirely.

Even if you pulled the BIOS ROM completely off the board, there should still be signs of power and life if you powered the board up, it just wouldn't "do" anything.
But dude, literally, I tried to jump the motherboard 24 pin connector with the PSU connector plugged in and then jumped the green and the black and I must say it did light up, and then when I felt my CPU it started to heat up like crazy, i unplugged it and that's it, check my post, nobody helped. So I gave up and I left my MB alone.

Ok, so it's like this. It looks like you DID get help in that thread, and you just didn't like the help you got. When that is the case it is generally advisable to add additional information to the thread so that maybe somebody else will jump in and offer different insights. What isn't expected, or allowed, is that you try to hijack somebody else's thread. If you have answers or solutions to offer that are reasonable, then of course you have as much right as anybody else to post in any thread but not for the purpose of trying to get help with your own problem.

Thread jacking is a rules violation, just saying.

May 4, 2021
Ok, so it's like this. It looks like you DID get help in that thread, and you just didn't like the help you got. When that is the case it is generally advisable to add additional information to the thread so that maybe somebody else will jump in and offer different insights. What isn't expected, or allowed, is that you try to hijack somebody else's thread. If you have answers or solutions to offer that are reasonable, then of course you have as much right as anybody else to post in any thread but not for the purpose of trying to get help with your own problem.

Thread jacking is a rules violation, just saying.
I did not try to hijack, i tried to tell you that i have the same problem, i didn't mean to hijack. I'm just so stressed, this is the only PC i have..

Tailorr

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Hello Tailorr, looks like we both are at the same problem, my motherboard does get power but won't turn on at all, and i still can't find the problem, let me know if any of my steps worked for you:

Clear the Bios, the button is either called CLBIOS or CLRTC
and I have no idea how to fix my motherboard, to see if it gets power try to plug in the PS24PC to the motherboard and jump the green and the black, check if your cooler gets warm and if it does look like your motherboard is dead. I mean yours starts from the store but mine doesn't at all I made a post but nobody helped me so if you find a solution make sure to contact me asap cause I'm also scared my motherboard is straight-up dead.
Ye I'm looking out for solutions ill let u know if I find any

Tailorr

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020

If it won't, try this:

Will try this, not too sure I belive I have tried it in the past

Tailorr

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020

If it won't, try this:

I tried both and neither of them worked :(