[SOLVED] pc on 40*C on idle and up to 85 during games

Apr 13, 2019
my pc had a overheating problem a while ago with the cpu but after i reapplied thermal paste it went back to normal. now its overheating again throughout the whole pc (with gpu and cpu on equal temps) i tried putting my fans on full power but it doesn't cool it down an inch. what could it be possibly?

Solution
Well, Minecraft can run on a potato so that's not a very helpful indicator. LOL.

So what CPU cooler did you get? And just for the sake of surety, I would double check all those case fans and make certain that the fan blades are facing out on the intakes, blowing in, and that they are facing in on the exhaust fans, blowing out. Easy to accidentally place fans incorrectly. Easy to check to verify that they are not wrong. I'm sure you are right, but always good to double check.

As far as "mounted to the top incorrectly", what, exactly, does that mean? Pictures would be helpful.

With that many fans, if they are correctly mounted, and if you have a CPU cooler that IS capable of handling the TDP of your processor, there are few other...
I would try running with the case open and see what happens to the temps.
If they go down significantly I would increase the case cooling of just run with the case open. This may be why your GPU is hot as well as your CPU.

If the temps don't go down when you open the case....I would be looking at the CPU cooler mounting to make sure it didn't come loose. I find that coolers coming loose is a bigger problem than bad paste.

Apr 13, 2019
I would try running with the case open and see what happens to the temps.
If they go down significantly I would increase the case cooling of just run with the case open. This may be why your GPU is hot as well as your CPU.

If the temps don't go down when you open the case....I would be looking at the CPU cooler mounting to make sure it didn't come loose. I find that coolers coming loose is a bigger problem than bad paste.
ok ill try that. thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Apr 13, 2019
CM Hyper 212 is a decent budget cooler for 2600k if not overclocking too far but requires a back plate behind the motherboard to secure properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-212E-20PK-R2-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI

Or Noctua-NH-L12S without need for back plate but Noctua recommends good case air flow.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L12S-Low-Profile-Cooler-Quiet/dp/B075SF5QQ8

Noctua recommendations:
https://noctua.at/en/cpu/Intel_Core_i7-2600K

i was originally just gonna get this but if thats a bad idea let me know.

Apr 13, 2019
i have been having this problem for a while now and i have gone through pretty much every solution. i have cleaned out dust, gotten more fans and a new cpu cooler, re-applied thermal paste and its still getting to 85 degrees. any help? is 86 max fine?

Stick to one thread. Your NEW thread has been merged with your OLD thread, which are the same question. If previous answers have not helped solve the problem then continue trying to find an answer in the thread that exists. Don't create multiple threads for the same problem.

So, to start with the cooler you are using was not meant for use with your CPU, because none of the K sku processors came with coolers. Likely you have a cooler for an i7-2600 or lower TDP i5, and it's unable to keep up. Your first order of business should be getting a better cooler, which it looks like has been suggested many times here already.

Secondly, I see some conversation about fans but I don't see any mention about what case you have, how many case fans are installed, what size/model the installed fans are, what direction each fan is facing/blowing (Intake vs exhaust) for each installed fan location, what the fans are connected to (motherboard, fan hub or straight to PSU via molex adapters) or whether or not you've configured any fan profiles for the case fans or CPU in the BIOS?

Bottom line is, with that CPU, you need an aftermarket cooler (Even at the stock configuration as the TDP of that processor certainly exceeds whatever your stock cooler was designed to handle) and at least one intake fan and one exhaust fan, minimum.

Anything over 80°C (What are you USING to monitor CPU temperature as well. Not all utilities are accurate) is undesirable. Anything over 85°C is getting into harmful territory for the long term. Anything over 90°C is just plain BAD. My advice would be to stop running that system until you obtain a good aftermarket cooler.

Even the inexpensive Deepcool Gammaxx 400 would be suitable so long as you are not running any kind of manual or automatic utility overclock. Boost speeds are not "overclocking", they are standard behavior so that is fine so long as you have a capable enough cooler.

Apr 13, 2019
i said i got a new CPU cooler (sorry). i have 5 fans now two at the top, one at the front, and one at the back. the fans use a fan hub and i have check the fan profiles in bios and kept them on standard. the fans follow standard airflow procedure intake at the bottom front of case and outtake top back. the pc case is a thermal take versa h22 with the fans mounted to the top incorrectly but effectively. the fans are just standard with up 10 1800 rpm if needed.

sidenote i found minecraft stuck to around 60 degree after a while.

Well, Minecraft can run on a potato so that's not a very helpful indicator. LOL.

So what CPU cooler did you get? And just for the sake of surety, I would double check all those case fans and make certain that the fan blades are facing out on the intakes, blowing in, and that they are facing in on the exhaust fans, blowing out. Easy to accidentally place fans incorrectly. Easy to check to verify that they are not wrong. I'm sure you are right, but always good to double check.

As far as "mounted to the top incorrectly", what, exactly, does that mean? Pictures would be helpful.

With that many fans, if they are correctly mounted, and if you have a CPU cooler that IS capable of handling the TDP of your processor, there are few other things that could cause your overheating issues.

One would be a faulty motherboard with VRM problems or some other issue with power delivery such as an incorrect core voltage setting in the BIOS. Another would be using memory that wasn't intended to be used with that CPU, that defaults to a voltage that is inconsistent with the platform. A faulty CPU as well.

Other than that, the only likely culprit would be an incorrectly mounted CPU cooler which could be due to various factors including a backplate and mounting bracket that are not actually fastened snugly to the board, because if they are not, then no amount of fastening to the bracket will fully seat the CPU cooler. So what model of CPU cooler did you get?

Solution
Oh boy. No wonder you have problems. That's worse than the stock cooler. And, that is your thermal problem. Not sure where you got the recommendation for that cooler, but whoever gave it to you I'd be sure to never take advice from them again.

These are the coolers you want to look at. I'd recommend that you do so. Click the spoiler link for those recommendations.

Below is my list of preferred CPU AIR coolers, also known as Heatsink fans (HSF).

Do not look here for recommendations on water/liquid cooling solutions. There are none to be found.

They are basically listed in order of preference, from top to bottom. To some degree that preference is based on known performance on similarly overclocked configurations, but not entirely. There are likely a couple of units that are placed closer to the top not because they offer purely better performance than another cooler which is below it, but potentially due to a variety of reasons.

One model might be placed higher than another with the same or similar performance, but has quieter or higher quality fans. It may have the same performance but a better warranty. Long term quality may be higher. It may be less expensive in some cases. Maybe it performs slightly worse, but has quieter fans and a better "fan pitch". Some fans with equal decibel levels do not "sound" like they are the same as the specific pitch heard from one fan might be less annoying than another.

In any case, these are not "tiered" and are not a 100% be all, end all ranking. They are simply MY preference when looking at coolers for a build or when making recommendations. Often, which HSF gets chosen depends on what is on this list and fits the budget or is priced right at the time due to a sale or rebate. Hopefully it will help you and you can rest assured that every cooler listed here is a model that to some degree or other is generally a quality unit which is a lot more likely to be worth the money spent on it than on many other models out there that might look to be a similarly worthwhile investment.

Certainly there are a great many other very good coolers out there, but these are models which are usually available to most anybody building a system or looking for a cooler, regardless of what part of the world they might live in. As always, professional reviews are usually an absolutely essential part of the process of finding a cooler so if you are looking at a model not listed here, I would highly recommend looking at at least two or three professional reviews first.

If you cannot find two reviews of any given cooler, it is likely either too new to have been reviewed yet or it sucked, and nobody wanted to buy one in order to review it plus the manufacturer refused to send samples out to the sites that perform reviews because they knew it would likely get bad publicity.

IMO, nobody out there is making better fans, overall, than Noctua, followed pretty closely by Thermalright. So if you intend to match case fans to the same brand on your HSF, those are pretty hard to beat. Of course, Corsair has it's Maglev fans, and those are pretty damn good too, but since they don't make CPU air cooling products, only AIO water coolers, they cannot join the party.

Noctua NH-D14 (Replace stock fans with NF-A14 industrialPPC 2000rpm)
Noctua NH-D15/D15 SE-AM4
Noctua NH-D14 (With original fans)
Thermalright Silver arrow IB-E Extreme
Phanteks PH-TC14PE (BK,BL, OR or RD)
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal
Thermalright Legrand Macho RT
FSP Windale 6
Scythe Mugen 5 rev.b
Noctua NH-U14S
Thermalright Macho rev.B
Thermalright Macho (Direct, 120)
Scythe Mugen max
BeQuiet dark rock pro (3 or 4)
BeQuiet dark rock (3 or 4)
Deepcool Assassin II
Thermalright true spirit 140 (Direct, Power, BW)
Cryorig H5
Noctua NH-U12S
Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Any)
Phanteks PH-TC14S
Cryorig H7
Deepcool Gammaxx 400
Cooler Master Hyper 212 (EVO, X, RGB. I'd only recommend this cooler if no other good aftermarket models are available to you.)

It may not be obvious, but is probably worth mentioning, that not all cooler models will fit all CPU sockets as aftermarket coolers generally require an adapter intended for use with that socket. Some coolers that fit an AMD platform might not fit a later AMD platform, or an Intel platform. Often these coolers come with adapters for multiple types of platforms but be sure to verify that a specific cooler WILL work with your platform before purchasing one and finding out later that it will not.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hyper 212 i suggested is suitable up to 180w TDP. 95w TDP of that cooler is at the very minimum to cool your cpu enough without throttling + air flow setup if left as is isn't helping.

Darkbreeze's heatsink list is excellent.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
omg ok i will never take advice from that friend again jesus i should done more re search or just listened to boju befor. yikes. so after i get an adequate cpu cooler all should be fine

TRENDING THREADS