[SOLVED] PC on but black screen - am I having a motherboard problem?

Aug 26, 2019
So I upgraded my pc a couple days ago and I also went to a microcenter to have my mobo bios updated. After reassembling my pc, my mobo did post, but the display was all messed up so i stupidly forcibly turned the power off possibly during post or bios. I tried to reset cmos by taking the battery out and it did actually take me into bios. However, after i save and exit, even with the right boot priority, it just ends up on a black screen even though my pc is on. Is this a mobo problem?

PC specs:
cpu: intel core i5-9400f
Mobo: asus prime b360m-a
gpu: msi ventus xc gtx 1660
ram: team elite 2x4gb ddr4 2400mhz
psu: evga 450bt
storage: 256gb nvme ssd

I have windows installation tool on flash drive and was intending to add hdd after initial clean install on ssd

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
ok first thing to try could be taking one ram stick out and try it with just one ram stick . try both rams in both ram slots one at a time.
Aug 26, 2019
so you get past post then it goes black Before windows loading screen?
Try with just one ram stick, try both slots. check the Connections to the ssd.

Yes. When i reset the cmos battery, it does end up displaying the asus splash logo then asks me to press f1 to run setup. I get into bios, everything looks fine and i set it on default settings. When i exit, the computer restarts but stays on an endless black screen

Aug 26, 2019
did they test the computer in the shop after installing the new bios? Sounds alittle shady that this happen after new bios install.

The board worked fine after the bios update. I put everything back together and it displayed the bios as soon as the power was on. Now, i have to reset the cmos everytime to get into bios. Micro center didnt mess up the board as far as i know

Aug 26, 2019
Am currently reseating the ram, but i heard this was something you do if you couldnt get into bios. I just have a problem with getting past the bios.

Aug 26, 2019
ok first thing to try could be taking one ram stick out and try it with just one ram stick . try both rams in both ram slots one at a time.

Update: i was playing around with the ram and changed one of them to the second slot and bam! I got into windows installation for the first time. Thank you so much!!!!