[SOLVED] PC on, but black screen

May 16, 2021
I just turned on my PC for first time in couple months and it is not conncecting to monitor. The monitor is just a black screen, however PC is on. The monitor is not the issue as I have tested it. My graphics card lights up, my fans are on, but its just a black screen. Keyboard and mouse also do not light up. Help highly appreciated.

Solution
how do I do it
You will need to lookup the manual for your motherboard. In the manual it will give instructions and the location of the reset cmos jumper. Follow the instructions. Some boards have an external switch as well, but your manual will outline it. For the most part it is really simple. With most units you just pull the power, apply the jumper for a short period of time, take it back off and then reapply power. It can be board dependent though so make sure to follow your boards instructions. Once you are able to boot you are going to get a cmos error and you will need to go into bios, reset defaults (and change anything back that was already changed) and then save.

jasonf2

Distinguished
While I am not arguing that the PSU has a pretty high probability of being the culprit I would try a bios reset first. If it sat for an extended period of time with no power cmos may be corrupted. Easy reset to try and out no money up front.

jasonf2

Distinguished
how do I do it
You will need to lookup the manual for your motherboard. In the manual it will give instructions and the location of the reset cmos jumper. Follow the instructions. Some boards have an external switch as well, but your manual will outline it. For the most part it is really simple. With most units you just pull the power, apply the jumper for a short period of time, take it back off and then reapply power. It can be board dependent though so make sure to follow your boards instructions. Once you are able to boot you are going to get a cmos error and you will need to go into bios, reset defaults (and change anything back that was already changed) and then save.

Solution