Question PC only able to read 1 drive

Mar 17, 2019
I’ve been using this new build for almost a month now and after clicking to “shutdown and update” 2 days ago I’ve run into this problem. My computer is only reading the first drive connected to it. If I connect my SSD first and HDD second, it’s only able to read the SSD, and vice versa. I have Windows installed on my SSD and my users folders installed on HDD, so I need both working to boot Windows properly. I somehow got it to start up last night after unplugging and reconnecting the SATA cables over and over. I shut it down when I went to bed though, and now the problem persists.

I don’t know much about computers, but could this maybe be a power supply issue? The one I’m using is 500W and over 5 years old. Everything else in the PC is new.

Mar 17, 2019
Is it in bios or in window that you cannot "see" the other drive?

What do you see when opening Disk management in Windows?

Yes, in bios boot options it is only showing the first drive connected. I’m unable to check disk management atm because I can’t boot Windows.

Mar 17, 2019
It is unlikely that the PSU is the issue - but not completely impossible.

How many sata connectors are the MB equiped with? Does it have an onboard raid controller ?

Are you able to boot up on CD/DVD ?

There are 2 sata connectors in my motherboard. I’ve tried swapping them out with others, no difference. I’ve tried using different power connectors from the psu, nothing. Both drives show they are connected with SATA in bios, but the 2nd drive never shows up in my boot options. This is what makes me think it’s the power instead of SATA.

Not sure what an onboard raid controller is but this is the MB i use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WQDZJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

CPU is ryzen 5 2600x. All parts are new except the PSU. It was working fine for about a month until I shutdown to update Windows.

Mar 17, 2019
I reinstalled Windows on the HDD so I can use my computer and both drives are showing up under “This PC”. I don’t know why they can’t both show up at the same time under the bios boot options. When I try to boot Windows from my SSD it’s still taking me to a black screen with a blinking white cursor. I don’t know how to fix it, but at least I can run Windows from my HDD now.