Question Pc only booting to bios.. help pls!

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
i was unable the use the mbr2gpt so i opened command prompt to use it.. it was giving a few errors so i set a c drive partition to active and then back to inactive.. and my pc is booting up to bios again and again and not windows 10, possible causes for this are..after validating mbr2gpt using cmd it couldnt find partition, so i followed someone's advice and set the only partition in the c drive from inactive to active and tried validating mbr2gpt.. it didn't work so i set it back to inactive just in case, i shutdown my pc after giving up, after shutdown i tried enabling fast boot again in the bios and starting it up, and that's where it started booting to bios again and again.. i tried disabling fast boot but that didn't work, i also noted in easy mode that 2(or 1) things-p0 and another thing(not sure) were missing from there and only my ssd containing the c drive was there.. altho the computer did detect the p0 sata thing(i think its the hdd). I took the photo of the bios here:
View: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/jrTG34X

Help pls!

@Dillusion CMS support provides compatibility for legacy hardware by simulating a BIOS environment rather than a UEFI environment. It stands for Compatibility Support Module. I have personally had issues with new builds where a change to the hard drive (even moving it from one SATA port to another) will not boot. Disabling CSM support (4 lines from the bottom on your screenshot) has fixed this.

It's just an idea and I hope it works, but if your drive is messed it, it probably won't.

This comment from the Asus forums might explain why:

A UEFI system can boot only from a GPT disk, not MBR. A BIOS system can boot only from an MBR disk and not GPT, which is why you can't take an OS disk from a BIOS system and put it in a UEFI system and expect the system to boot.
Most UEFI motherboards come with a Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which is enabled by default. It makes the motherboard actually look like a BIOS system, allowing it to boot from NTFS and MBR disk, but you lose the UEFI features and are essentially just using BIOS. If you want to run your system as UEFI, you need to disable the CSM via the motherboard's interface before you install Windows.
Your UEFI system can boot only from a device that has an EFI boot loader, so after the CSM has been disabled, the only boot devices that are listed will be UEFI aware.
After Windows is installed, msinfo32 (System Information) will show the BIOS mode as UEFI, not legacy.

Last edited:

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
@Dillusion CMS support provides compatibility for legacy hardware by simulating a BIOS environment rather than a UEFI environment. It stands for Compatibility Support Module. I have personally had issues with new builds where a change to the hard drive (even moving it from one SATA port to another) will not boot. Disabling CSM support (4 lines from the bottom on your screenshot) has fixed this.

It's just an idea and I hope it works, but if your drive is messed it, it probably won't.

This comment from the Asus forums might explain why:

A UEFI system can boot only from a GPT disk, not MBR. A BIOS system can boot only from an MBR disk and not GPT, which is why you can't take an OS disk from a BIOS system and put it in a UEFI system and expect the system to boot.
Most UEFI motherboards come with a Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which is enabled by default. It makes the motherboard actually look like a BIOS system, allowing it to boot from NTFS and MBR disk, but you lose the UEFI features and are essentially just using BIOS. If you want to run your system as UEFI, you need to disable the CSM via the motherboard's interface before you install Windows.
Your UEFI system can boot only from a device that has an EFI boot loader, so after the CSM has been disabled, the only boot devices that are listed will be UEFI aware.
After Windows is installed, msinfo32 (System Information) will show the BIOS mode as UEFI, not legacy.
Okay i fixed it somehow, seems like the problem was that my boot partition was set inactive.. now that i have fixed it.. can you please check this video of my bios and tell me how to disable cms?

If it’s working now, I don’t think I would mess with CMS support. But if you really want to, enter your BIOS, go to the BIOS tab like the picture at the top. Arrow down until you reach CMS support, and then press page up or page down to change the option. You can probably also use your mouse and click on the option and select disable. If everything still working on reboot, great. If not, change it back to enable.