Question PC only booting up to Automatic repair after trying to fix Blue screen of death.

MAAT999

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
So I was removing this app from my PC and it told me to reboot after I have removed the app. When rebooted I was presented with a blue screen of death (BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO).I did some research on how to fix it , one of the fixes said that I had to rename some files in SYSTEM32/CONFIG and I did but forgot to do some steps.And now I can't even boot up to safe mode.

Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
"removing this app from my PC "
What 'app' ?

"said that I had to rename some files in SYSTEM32/CONFIG "
and you don't know which ones, or forgot some steps...

This is not good.
May we assume you don't have a full system backup from before yous started?

MAAT999

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
"removing this app from my PC "
What 'app' ?

"said that I had to rename some files in SYSTEM32/CONFIG "
and you don't know which ones, or forgot some steps...

This is not good.
May we assume you don't have a full system backup from before yous started?

I was removing Outfox , How about I try naming them back and we work from there?

USAFRet

Titan
"Outfox: Optimized Gaming Network to Lower Ping and Reduce Lag"

You know those things never work, right?

Anyway...if you know exactly what you changed, and can change it back, then go for it.

But...
"And now I can't even boot up to safe mode. " Would seem to make this rather difficult.

MAAT999

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
Idk man I tried wtfast and in some cases it works .

Anyways,I renamed the files and some are "duplicated" so i couldn't rename them all,and the problem still persists.By the way,I just used the automatic Repair thingy to use the command prompt.

Renaming those files made an even bigger issue(just realized) I can't access the command prompt anymore because it says I don't have any admin users.Does that means that the users I had deleted themselves?

I only can think of one solution right now which is to reset the PC ,please tell me there is ANY other way.(Oh and by the way thanks for the quick reply :) )

MAAT999

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
It means you have completely hosed up your OS, and it needs a full wipe and reinstall.
Oh my god, that's kinda messed up ,I messed my PC up.
By "full wipe" does that include my personal files too? or can I just reset it and keep my files?
And before I do this ,is there any ANY ANNNNNNY solution other than that?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Oh my god, that's kinda messed up ,I messed my PC up.
By "full wipe" does that include my personal files too? or can I just reset it and keep my files?
And before I do this ,is there any ANY ANNNNNNY solution other than that?

Four points on this matter.

1. In days of yore, you got a PC, it had a hard drive for the OS and what seemed like lots of extra space, and you had a floppy or later a DVD drive. Your data was on your C drive and so if you hosed your OS you probably pretty much hosed your personal files too.

2. Nowadays storage is so cheap you can keep data on a separate drive and even do an external backup. So make that a habit (that is, an internal drive separate from your OS, to be used for your files, and an external drive to which you save regularly).*

3. Learn the SET RESTORE POINT to use BEFORE you go mucking around in places like dll files or system config etc. That way, so long as you can at least get signed back in to the OS, you can return things to normal.

4. When things are humming along and everything seems fine...that's a good time to set a restore point. Ima do that right now.

Greg N

*bonus points for external backups such as Carbonite

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If you're reinstalling as I write it's likely too late, but I recommend disconnecting from the internet and getting away from anything to do with microsoft during the installation process. They will come at you with all these things to improve your "experience." My view is that these things create multiple paths to instability for the DIY person who is not fully engaged in mastering every last feature.

MAAT999

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
If you're reinstalling as I write it's likely too late, but I recommend disconnecting from the internet and getting away from anything to do with microsoft during the installation process. They will come at you with all these things to improve your "experience." My view is that these things create multiple paths to instability for the DIY person who is not fully engaged in mastering every last feature.
So basically what I did was that I got a flash drive with the windows setup,I disconnected my second HDD just to be safe and (re)installed windows using the flash drive ,all my files were kept in a windows.old folder so I didn't really lose anything I just have to do some cutting and pasting.

But this would've been better(and quicker) with a restore point and a backup drive (I'll get on that right now!).Although I was lucky this time ,I might not be next time .

I disabled all those diagnostics stuff and most of the useless features that only slow down the computer.

Thanks for the tips! Really appreciate it! (Especially the restore point part)

Last edited: