Question PC only boots every alternate time and that too only after going through bios menu

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi all. As the title says I am facing an odd situation. I turned on my PC after some years (Lenovo Thinkcentre M58E) and it only turns every other time. For one of every 2 attempts, it will give a 4x4 short beeps error code without any display and for the next attempt after being forced powered off, it will enter an infinite booting screen which is avoided only if I enter the BIOS menu at startup even though I change no settings there and then the windows loads perfectly. For reference I have swapped the Core2Duo E8000 for Core2Quad Q9650 as it was mentioned as a supported processor in the user manual if that could be the culprit in any way.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd start looking at the BIOS version for the platform and see if there are any BIOS updates pending. Considering that the platform might've been operational prior to the mishap/this thread, I'm leaning on your PSU or the motherboard being afflicted, whereby a capacitor or a component is preventing power delivery. Might want to inspect the motherboard for any blown or bulging capacitor.

One other thing you could do, is see if replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell changes what you're experiencing.

ngftsa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
I'd start looking at the BIOS version for the platform and see if there are any BIOS updates pending. Considering that the platform might've been operational prior to the mishap/this thread, I'm leaning on your PSU or the motherboard being afflicted, whereby a capacitor or a component is preventing power delivery. Might want to inspect the motherboard for any blown or bulging capacitor.

One other thing you could do, is see if replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell changes what you're experiencing.

BIOS is up to date. If PSU is at fault then how come it manages to run fine otherwise after jumping through all the hoops? I did replace the CMOS battery. Need to inspect the motherboard now.