Question PC only boots in to Safe Mode after I had to auto repair the boot drive ?

Alan Alan

Commendable
Aug 9, 2022
I replaced a non boot drive, then had to auto repair the boot drive.
Now it only boots to safe mode and after shutdown it stays in safe mode ?

This is Windows 11 on an Asus Z370 board. They say a standard reboot takes it out of safe mode but it doesn't. Any ideas on how to stop it from rebooting into safe mode. I suspect msconfig is set to restart in safe mode. There doesn't appear to be anything unusual but I thing the auto repair might modify msconfig to always reboot in safe mode. Hopefully that's all there is to it. If it's not in msconfig, is there anything else that would make it reboot into safe mode?

ubuysa

Distinguished
There is a checkbox in msconfig that specifies a Safe Mode boot, you should go into msconfig and check the normal boot box.

I'm a bit puzzled why replacing a non-boot drive (and non-system drive?) required a repair of the boot drive? How did you repair the boot drive? What was the drive you replaced and what was on there?

It's very possible that you damaged or moved something in the case whilst replacing the drive and that's why it only boots into Safe Mode. Check everything in the case and ensure that everything is properly fitted, is fully home, and that all cables are properly connected - at both ends.