Sep 17, 2017
Hey all, first of all here are my specs:

CPU: i7-7700k
Motherboard: Asus B-250 PLUS
Ram: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
SSD/HDD: 3x Kingston SSD, 1x 2TB HDD
GPU: Palit gtx1080
PSU: Corsair 550

So I have a couple of issues I haven't been able to sort out. Firstly, no matter what I do I cannot seem to make my memory 3200Mhz, on the box of the RAM and on the RAM stick it says 3200Mhz, but setting XMP doesn't work and keeps it at 2133Mhz.

Secondly, my PC will only boot with RAM in Slot 1. After it has booted I can put another RAM stick into slot2 and it registers as 16gb. Obviously this doesn't give me access to dual Chanel speeds.

I have tried every configuration of RAM slots, both RAM sticks boot the PC in slot 1. I have also taken out the MOBO battery and left it for 10 seconds. Nothing changes,

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution

So I have a couple of issues I haven't been able to sort out. Firstly, no matter what I do I cannot seem to make my memory 3200Mhz, on the box of the RAM and on the RAM stick it says 3200Mhz, but setting XMP doesn't work and keeps it at 2133Mhz.

Secondly, my PC will only boot with RAM in Slot 1. After it has booted I can put another RAM stick into slot2 and it registers as 16gb. Obviously this doesn't give me access to dual Chanel speeds.

I have tried every configuration of RAM slots, both RAM sticks boot the PC in...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if both sticks are working, but not all slots, then slots are probably going bad.
this has been my personal experience over the years with quite a few motherboards.
might be time to replace the board.
while you're at it, might as well get a Z series board and not a B series so that the money spent on an overclockable i7 doesn't go to waste.

I have tried every configuration of RAM slots, both RAM sticks boot the PC in slot 1. I have also taken out the MOBO battery and left it for 10 seconds. Nothing changes,

Any help would be appreciated!
Pull the CPU out, check the socket for bent or broken pins, place the CPU back in and repaste if no bent pins are found or you carefully fix the bent pins. Try the correct ram slots again.

Edit - Also, the highest ram speed you can use on your motherboard is 2400Mhz because of a chipset limitation. You need a Z 100 or 200 series to overclock past 2400Mhz.

Last edited:
Reactions: hunter27205
Solution

hunter27205

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
Pull the CPU out, check the socket for bent or broken pins, place the CPU back in and repaste if no bent pins are found or you carefully fix the bent pins. Try the correct ram slots again.

Edit - Also, the highest ram speed you can use on your motherboard is 2400Mhz because of a chipset limitation. You need a Z 100 or 200 series to overclock past 2400Mhz.
Will try it tomorrow and reply with results.

Thank you!

hunter27205

Commendable
Sep 17, 2017
Just took out the CPU and re pasted it. No bent pins but there was a small piece of lint near the bottom left side of the socket, I assume that this was blocking the connection and causing the issue.

Either way, but the RAM in slots 1 and 3 and it booted! Also launched the games I was getting notable worse performance in, and it works great.

Thanks for the suggestion!