[SOLVED] PC only boots without CPU cooler

Sep 12, 2019
I recently exchanged my motherboard with a Asus ROG strix 390z-f
After I installed everything I turned my PC on. First fans started working and the LEDs in the Motherboard and GPU started working but nothing happend . Then I restarted my PC and it came to the booting screen. My keyboard wasn't plugged in and wasn't recognised after I did so I restarted the PC and I saw that the led, which was labeled dram light on. It didn't go to the next stage. I tried reinstalling my ram and CPU and looked for bent pins but didn't find any.Then I tried installing only one stick of ram and it worked but only without the CPU cooler on. If it is the same problem occurs.After it works I can but a second stick in but with the same problem if I put on the cooler. Full list of components :
I7 8700k
GTX 1070
Asus ROG strix 390 f
Corsair vengeance lpx 2x 8 GB 3200mhz
M2 Samsung evo
1 Tb hard-drive
Be quiet Psu 650
Be quiet dark rock pro 4 cooler

I hope you can guide me. I'm really desperate so any help would be well appreciated

Solution
The reason i am asking is because it may be a slot issue. I want you to try the same CPU and cooler but in a new socket because it is possible the mounting pressure from the cooler is bending pins or making it misalign when without the cooler it works fine
First of all why the second post? Anyway with the extra info you added this time i can tell you the most likely cause is that you are not mounting your CPU cooler correctly. Either too softly or too hard which is causing the cpu to not sit right in the socket. It is also possible that you have a bad cooler and it is hard shorting the fan header although that shouldnt make it not boot

Sep 12, 2019
First of all why the second post? Anyway with the extra info you added this time i can tell you the most likely cause is that you are not mounting your CPU cooler correctly. Either too softly or too hard which is causing the cpu to not sit right in the socket. It is also possible that you have a bad cooler and it is hard shorting the fan header although that shouldnt make it not boot
Well here you replied in a few minutes and on the other post no one did so yeah. But thank you I will try it out

Sep 12, 2019
It worked on another mainboard . So I don't think it's the cooler

Sep 12, 2019
The reason i am asking is because it may be a slot issue. I want you to try the same CPU and cooler but in a new socket because it is possible the mounting pressure from the cooler is bending pins or making it misalign when without the cooler it works fine
can I somehow reduce the pressure to the CPU because I have no way of finding a board with the same socket

The cooler you are using is very beefy indeed but it may not be an issue in practice. Try putting the board in your case and setting it up in the correct orientation. it may work. If it doesn't then the cheapest option would probably be to RMA the cooler and grab something lighter it really is massively overkill for that chip which while not a bad thing does mean you can find something cheaper that does the job just fine

Another possible option is to install some washers on the CPU side of the motherboard to act as standoffs. even 0.5mm of separation ought to be enough

Reactions: DiSspenser
Sep 12, 2019
The cooler you are using is very beefy indeed but it may not be an issue in practice. Try putting the board in your case and setting it up in the correct orientation. it may work. If it doesn't then the cheapest option would probably be to RMA the cooler and grab something lighter it really is massively overkill for that chip which while not a bad thing does mean you can find something cheaper that does the job just fine

Another possible option is to install some washers on the CPU side of the motherboard to act as standoffs. even 0.5mm of separation ought to be enough
Well if the washers thing won't work I might have to but thanks for the help. Could you recommend any cooled that fits this processor?

Well if the washers thing won't work I might have to but thanks for the help. Could you recommend any cooled that fits this processor?
So you have an i7 8700k which means most will work fine. If you are keeping in the same price range i would suggest a Corsair H100i if you have room for a 240mm radiator. If not then perhaps an H75i or NZXT Kraken. If you want an air cooler perhaps a coolermaster MA410M will be light enough. What i mean yo say is you have plenty of options