[SOLVED] PC only hitting 5-10mbps download!!!

Aug 21, 2020
Other devices and PC rub at 650mbps which is normal but my personal gaming rig is only getting 5-10mbps but keeping the normal 50mbps upload. Scanned for packet loss and malware and there seems to be nothing wrong there. Restarted Modem and Router Multiple times as well as swapped ethernet cables. I also tried a speed test using WIFI but it still caps around 10mbps.

Z390 MSI MB
8700k I7
2080TI

Solution
Maybe the best first test is to boot a linux USB image. This will let you test the hardware without affecting your windows install. If this also has problem you will be looking for some kind of hardware issue.

Since it affects both ethernet and wifi makes me suspect it is not hardware.

I would check to see if you have any QoS or "gamer" network code. I know may things package some garbage software called cfosspeed that tries to favor game traffic but causes all kinds of strange issues.
Maybe the best first test is to boot a linux USB image. This will let you test the hardware without affecting your windows install. If this also has problem you will be looking for some kind of hardware issue.

I would check to see if you have any QoS or "gamer" network code. I know may things package some garbage software called cfosspeed that tries to favor game traffic but causes all kinds of strange issues.

Reactions: SamirD and Eggwrd
Solution
Aug 21, 2020

I booted linux through usb and my speeds were all perfect unlike like windows 10. Where do you suggest I go from here.

I am glad you found the instructions I have image I built a couple years ago and forget exactly how I did it.

Now it is a matter of trying to guess what is messed up in windows. The only one I can think of is something called autotuing. It only should affect HTTP stuff so if you were to try steam and download a game it might load a different rate. Be aware steam has rates in MBytes.

The autotune feature they messed up in a patch but I thought that was fixed. You can try to disable it or set it normal and see if it makes any difference.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/a60c1ded-56b7-4d55-83e9-c8384f0ce4df

At some point it is going to take less time to reinstall windows. Be sure if you do you have all the drivers for your motherboard or you will not even see the ethernet port.

Reactions: SamirD and Eggwrd
Aug 21, 2020
Yea that didn't work either, Ill just fresh reinstall windows. Sucks because that was hopefully my last option. Thanks a lot for the help I truly appreciate it.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Other devices and PC rub at 650mbps which is normal but my personal gaming rig is only getting 5-10mbps but keeping the normal 50mbps upload. Scanned for packet loss and malware and there seems to be nothing wrong there. Restarted Modem and Router Multiple times as well as swapped ethernet cables. I also tried a speed test using WIFI but it still caps around 10mbps.

Z390 MSI MB
8700k I7
2080TI
Forget about all that. Reinstall the drivers for ethernet, which will be available on the manufacturer's website. Also, download the motherboard's wifi drivers too.
Try to get the latest versions.

Reactions: SamirD