PC only powers on after mains turned off for a few seconds

kai123

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Hello,

I've had a good googling about this issue but unable to find anything concrete.

Issue started about a month ago. I got in from work, hit the power button on the case, and nothing, literally nothing. Motherboard light is on, so I open the case and press the motherboard power-cycle button and again nothing.

I wanted to test the cabling, so changed (so I thought) the power cables and it worked, but so did the monitor of the cable i replaced, turned out I didn't actually swap them around.

Turning off the mains to the extension that I used for my system for even just 3 seconds is now routine. I was wondering under these certain circumstances, if anyone knows what this issue might be? It does seem that something needs a discharge, but turning the PSU off itself does not resolve this issue, I still need to turn it off at the mains...could it be the extension itself?

PSU is a 550w Seasonic M12, I've had it for about 5 years. System is at a glance:

2500k OC'ed to 4.3Ghz
8GB ram
Nivida 970GTX
500GB HD
120GB SSD

Kind Regards,

Kai.

Solution
Get a higher quality power strip. Preferably one with actual surge protection and a 15a breaker. Something made by Tripp Lite, APC, Cyberpower, Leviton or Eaton would be preferable. I'd avoid low priced junk or even seemingly higher quality items by Monster or Belkin that really aren't much better than what you'd get for a buck at the dollar store.

kai123

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013

I have a 6 plug extension (power strip) being feed from a mains socket (from the wall), with all the monitors, PC etc all connecting to the extension. I've no surge protector or UPS unit.

In a nutshell, I'm curious to why turning off the PSU, even unplugging the cable and reconnecting does not work, but flipping the power to the power-strip for 5 seconds does.

I'll try it from the mains, I should of tested this before I even posted :)

Kai.

Get a higher quality power strip. Preferably one with actual surge protection and a 15a breaker. Something made by Tripp Lite, APC, Cyberpower, Leviton or Eaton would be preferable. I'd avoid low priced junk or even seemingly higher quality items by Monster or Belkin that really aren't much better than what you'd get for a buck at the dollar store.

Solution