[SOLVED] PC only turns on with power supply switch, then turns off seconds later

Jul 2, 2021
Hi there,

I've looked at tons of forum posts on various websites for this specific problem, and it seems like no one else has experienced exactly what I am.

This morning when I was moving my setup, my PC fell over on its backside (side behind the motherboard) with most cords still plugged in. It fell from a position already very close to the ground with so there was very little fall distance. This has happened to my PC maybe 1-5x before, with no problems.

Later in the day when I go to set up my PC again at a different location, the problems start. I plug my A/C power cord into my power supply and the computer instantly begins to boot (GPU light/fan turn on, CPU fan on, case fans begin to spin, Mobo LEDs on) without me pressing the power button on my case. It begins to run for less than 10 seconds before shutting off. I then try the power switch on my case and nothing happens. Every time I unplug/flip the switch on my PSU the same thing happens, my PC boots for anywhere between 2-15 seconds and then shuts off.

I have tried:
Replacing the PSU
Unplugging fans/usbs from Mobo
Unplugging and replugging in case power switch connector
Moving around RAM
Unplugging and replugging CPU fan

This has never been an issue before, I have a PSU which has worked fine for the past 4 years. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA1151 - Motherboard
i7-9700k - Processor
RTX 2070 Super - GPU
Antec NEO ECO 620C - Power Supply
Ballistix DDR4 2400 8gb x2 - RAM
DIYPC Ranger-R4-B Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower - Case

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This has happened to my PC maybe 1-5x before, with no problems.
that doesn't inspire much confidence about the health of your system.

You will need to breadboard the system with the bare minimum, meaning ram, CPU and motherboard and boot disk, with your PSU, you can use the iGPU to get display and see if you can get the system to come to life.

As for the PSU, how old is the unit? Might want to take a look at the PSU and see if anything might've dislodged inside the PSU's housing.

Lutfij

Titan

You will need to breadboard the system with the bare minimum, meaning ram, CPU and motherboard and boot disk, with your PSU, you can use the iGPU to get display and see if you can get the system to come to life.

As for the PSU, how old is the unit? Might want to take a look at the PSU and see if anything might've dislodged inside the PSU's housing.

Solution
Jul 2, 2021

Haha, I totally get that about the dropping.

I breadboarded the system with the new tester PSU (Antec CP-850w) first because it was already connected. Just my RAM, CPU, CPU fan, motherboard, and SSD plugged in and the same result, on for ~5 seconds then shut down.

Then I plugged my original PSU (Antec NEO ECO 620C) back in. Again just RAM, CPU, CPU fan, motherboard, and SSD plugged in. Same result :(

The original PSU is probably around 5 years old. How would I go about looking for dislodged items in the PSU housing?

Thanks for the help

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi there,

I've looked at tons of forum posts on various websites for this specific problem, and it seems like no one else has experienced exactly what I am.

This morning when I was moving my setup, my PC fell over on its backside (side behind the motherboard) with most cords still plugged in. It fell from a position already very close to the ground with so there was very little fall distance. This has happened to my PC maybe 1-5x before, with no problems.

Later in the day when I go to set up my PC again at a different location, the problems start. I plug my A/C power cord into my power supply and the computer instantly begins to boot (GPU light/fan turn on, CPU fan on, case fans begin to spin, Mobo LEDs on) without me pressing the power button on my case. It begins to run for less than 10 seconds before shutting off. I then try the power switch on my case and nothing happens. Every time I unplug/flip the switch on my PSU the same thing happens, my PC boots for anywhere between 2-15 seconds and then shuts off.

I have tried:
Replacing the PSU
Unplugging fans/usbs from Mobo
Unplugging and replugging in case power switch connector
Moving around RAM
Unplugging and replugging CPU fan

This has never been an issue before, I have a PSU which has worked fine for the past 4 years. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA1151 - Motherboard
i7-9700k - Processor
RTX 2070 Super - GPU
Antec NEO ECO 620C - Power Supply
Ballistix DDR4 2400 8gb x2 - RAM
DIYPC Ranger-R4-B Black USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower - Case
Remove all the front panel connections and Jump the motherboard by shorting the two power button pins and it will turn on.