[SOLVED] PC only works OUTSIDE case

Apr 11, 2020
So a few days ago while moving my setup around I discovered a brown smelly liquid pooped underneath my PSU, I quickly cleaned it up and pulled the pc apart to assess the damage. To my surprise I found no direct damage but a few wet spots that I dried up with a cloth. Since putting the pc back together it would start for a few seconds but turn off and start again. This cycle would repeat on its own forever, never seeing anything on the monitor. I thought that I’d broken something, so I took out the parts and re-assembled it outside of the case and gave it a shot. To my surprise it worked fine. I then put the parts back into the case and the on off on off problem started again.

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
The brown liquid could have been electrolyte from a blown capacitor. Since it was underneath your PSU, I would kinda think it came from the PSU. I don't recommend opening a PSU to people who don't know what they are doing.

Is there a possibility the liquid came from somewhere else (water cooling?).

As far as the computer not starting in the case ... the first thing I would look for is something shorting or grounding out the motherboard, but it could also be the PSU.
The brown liquid could have been electrolyte from a blown capacitor. Since it was underneath your PSU, I would kinda think it came from the PSU. I don't recommend opening a PSU to people who don't know what they are doing.

Is there a possibility the liquid came from somewhere else (water cooling?).

As far as the computer not starting in the case ... the first thing I would look for is something shorting or grounding out the motherboard, but it could also be the PSU.

Solution