[SOLVED] Pc or Laptop

freddyrobins143

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
Hey all, so I know in the future I will in general need a laptop replacement. I was wondering if anybody knew of or has experience with a laptop capable of replacing a pc in the Engineering field for when I go to college. I am going to need a computer capable of handling the programs associated with it and was wondering if anybody had any advice.

Solution
I know for a fact the college im looking into uses both solid works and matlabs. And I'm trying to stick to a budget of around 1500 usd, but may be able to stretch a few more hundred.
You could get plenty of power with that amount.
There are many models like Dell XPS 15, Asus TUF, ASUS ROG Zephyrus G, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 or even a Razer Blade 15
There are many types of engineering fields.
Which platform does the college you're looking into uses? Which apps?
There are many powerful laptop models available that could replace desktop and could be even faster.
It will depend on your budget.
I have a friend that uses apps like Solid Works, CAD, MATLAB, etc..on a 15" Asus TUF505 with a Core i7, Nvidia GTX 1660 , 32GB of RAM , 2TB NVMe SSD and only 2.2 pounds.
Faster than my work workstation.

Last edited:

freddyrobins143

Prominent
Dec 29, 2018
There are many types of engineering fields.
Which platform does the college you're looking into uses? Which apps?
There are many powerful laptop models available that could replace a laptop.
desktop and could be even faster.
It will depend on your budget.
I have a friend that uses apps like Solid Works, CAD, MATLAB, etc..on a 15" Asus TUF505 with a Core i7, Nvidia GTX 1660 , 32GB of RAM , 2TB NVMe SSD and only 2.2 pounds.
Faster than my work workstation.
I know for a fact the college im looking into uses both solid works and matlabs. And I'm trying to stick to a budget of around 1500 usd, but may be able to stretch a few more hundred.