PC or Mac for College Computer

Giants745

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
I am getting ready to leave for college and am stuck on the question of: PC or Mac.

I've used both before and am conformable with using both. I am an advanced computer user with many certifications. I know how to use VMWare as well!

I plan on doing Engineering or Computer Science.

I've already decided that I want at least 8GB of RAM, a SSD, and at least an i5.

Should I buy a PC for general compability or go with Mac and just use VMWare when an app is not supported. I also plan to use this computer for 6+ years and don't have any plans on buying a new laptop.

Solution
I'd buy a PC for two reasons:

1) Colleges in general operate on Windows based software. If you have a Mac, that could be troublesome. Yeah, you could use VMWare I suppose, but I'd still rather it be my native OS.
2) You get better hardware for a cheaper price. With Macs you do have to pay Apple tax and higher prices for the same hardware.

The reason to get a Mac would be if the software you use requires Mac OS, but I doubt you will encounter Mac OS-restricted software in college, you'll probably encounter Windows-only software or software that can work on either. If you prefer the Mac OS interface, then get a Mac and run VMWare on it for Windows. Being a techy myself, though, I can never pass up the fact that a PC will give you...
I'd buy a PC for two reasons:

1) Colleges in general operate on Windows based software. If you have a Mac, that could be troublesome. Yeah, you could use VMWare I suppose, but I'd still rather it be my native OS.
2) You get better hardware for a cheaper price. With Macs you do have to pay Apple tax and higher prices for the same hardware.

The reason to get a Mac would be if the software you use requires Mac OS, but I doubt you will encounter Mac OS-restricted software in college, you'll probably encounter Windows-only software or software that can work on either. If you prefer the Mac OS interface, then get a Mac and run VMWare on it for Windows. Being a techy myself, though, I can never pass up the fact that a PC will give you better hardware for the same cost.

Solution

CDNJester

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
I'd say PC... I have a mac desktop and before that a mac book, and i love them, however for what you are studying a PC makes more sense. You will need a system that can adjust as you need it and macs simply do not do that.

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
For computer science PC all the way. It is much more versatile and will be most compatible with software that you need in your courses. If you must have a MAC though you can always dual boot Windows and switch OS's as needed.